Passed VCP-DCV 2020

jasojaso Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
It seems pretty dead here (overall), but since this forum was a big motivation to study, get certs etc. in the days back, I just wanted to say I was able to complete all pre reqs for VCP-DCV 2020.

Started around August when I got into Ops&Scale at Stanly CC. The course is quite good from the perspective that you are explained what VMware expects from you to know. Anything else is... well kinda easy - the labs, lack of quizzes, chapter exams etc. The course is really simple and won't teach you basically anything... It is simply up to you, how you tackle the topics. The biggest asset is the lab environment - you can do more or less everything there and you do not have to follow the lab guide (you have to do the lab and take a screenshot after all the steps but you are kinda free on what you want to do afterwards). This is nowhere near for example the Cisco courses, where Cisco really teaches you the stuff, helps you a lot with the exam mindset through quizzes and chapter exams etc. But since you have to complete a course it's good that there something publicly accessible for a reasonable price.

On top of that VMware is giving away a 1 year of Premium Access to their Virtual Learning Zone, where you can find a lot of Exam prep courses.

So combining the two above I was able to restart my studies towards the cert. After getting some confidence I took the Foundation Exam which was harder than expected. Considering I had a lot of the knowledge from work, I was able to pass with 4xx, but again - I thought it will be a lot easier.

From there I finished the course at Stanly and started the Exam prep for 6.7 at VMware Learning Zone. The official exam prep course is simply put the best you can get on the market preparing wise. VMware is pretty much clearly poiting out what will be on the test. If you are able to read a little bit between the lines, you are able to pass the test after just 1 iteration of the videos and some prep for each of the topic. It took me about a 2 weekends and 5 nights of study those vids and information from official documentation around each topic, its requirements, constraints and configuration possibilities to be able to pass the exam (passed the exam close to max).

GL!

Comments

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jaso said:
    So combining the two above I was able to restart my studies towards the cert. After getting some confidence I took the Foundation Exam which was harder than expected. Considering I had a lot of the knowledge from work, I was able to pass with 4xx, but again - I thought it will be a lot easier.
    Hi Jaso, congrats on the pass!
    I had wanted to get a bit more into VMware at beginning of year but plans change... One thing that made me a bit skittish about getting VM cert is that Foundations exam is said to be more challenging (for some people) than the VCP exam. What are your thoughts? Did you use any other resources (practice tests) than Stanley or did you have work experience? Thanks for the tip about  Premium Access to their Virtual Learning Zone and "reading between lines".
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can confirm that the Foundations exam is more difficult than the VCP.

I completed the StanlyCC ICM and was not ready for the trivial pursuit hilarity.

I got the Udemy practice exams. But even those didn’t do a good job.
  • jasojaso Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    itdept said:
    jaso said:
    Hi Jaso, congrats on the pass!
    I had wanted to get a bit more into VMware at beginning of year but plans change... One thing that made me a bit skittish about getting VM cert is that Foundations exam is said to be more challenging (for some people) than the VCP exam. What are your thoughts? Did you use any other resources (practice tests) than Stanley or did you have work experience? Thanks for the tip about  Premium Access to their Virtual Learning Zone and "reading between lines".

Thanks, yes regarding the Foundation I went through some parts of the Foundation Exam prep on VMware VLZ and I do have work experience. The problem with the VMware Foundation exam is that there is a lot of multiple choice (choose 3) questions and question that are really not that simple apart from the Professional Exam where I have like around 8 really basic questions (like basic basic .) - VMware tools topics etc.). Good news is that there is no Foundation Exam for the  VCP-DCV 2021 (VMware vSphere 7.0).
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Jaso, congrats on the pass, nice work! I've had a slack few years on the cert front so finally went for and passed the VCTA a few weeks ago to get back on it. I have experience in VMware but haven't done the course yet for the VCP. Is there much overlap between VCTA and the VCP or is it a massive step up out of interest?