Options

Setting up the Lab

wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
Ok, now I have some lab items (2620, 2610, and he threw in the 1924). I have them talking(pingable interfaces, etc). Want to go a step above(If i even can...)

Right now Im using a linksys wireless router to access my net. Is there a way to work it through my lab equipment?(using roadrunner)
70-291 Next....

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, for example:

internet
    wireless router---- 2610
    2620----1924----PCs

to make that work, you need to configure the wireless router to participate in the routing process, ie. by enabling RIP on the 2600s 'and' on the wireless router. Or, you can manually configure static routes on the wireless router, to the internal IP subnet behind the 2610 and the one behind the 2620. There should be a default route for all other destinations (on the internet) on the Cisco routers pointing to the wireless router.

This topic has been described in more detail in older topics in this CCNA forum so you might want to try a search:
    www.techexams.net/forums/search.php
  • Options
    Ok on the 2620 I have one 1 fast ethernet connection, no serial connector built in(Im assuming I need a module?), and the 2610 has 1 Ethernet connection(and a wic 1dsu??,says its 56/64k csu/dsu module still in an expansion bay).

What types of modules do I need to make this work?
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, ideally, for practicing WAN technologies, you would setup a serial back-to-back connection between the two 2600 routers.

I hope someone else can fill you in on the module you would need.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok, now I have some lab items (2620, 2610, and he threw in the 1924). I have them talking(pingable interfaces, etc). Want to go a step above(If i even can...)

Right now Im using a linksys wireless router to access my net. Is there a way to work it through my lab equipment?(using roadrunner)

Roadrunner -- that's cable, right? Anything special about your cable modem? Is it just a cable modem, or is it a cablemodem/router (that does NAT and stuff)? How fast is your internet connection?

Is your linksys wireless router plugged directly into the cable modem? or something else? Does it get a public IP address and does it do NAT and DHCP for your home wireless network? Does the Cablemodem/router keep the public IP and do NAT and DHCP for your Linksys wireless AP?

Do you any home wired network attached to the internet?

Does your pc just have a wireless connection? wired connection? both?

Hum... 1924. Menu driven or IOS? VLAN capabilities? Trunking capabilities? Does it have any 100Mb ports?

What do you really want to do? Use your PC as a TFTP server? Access your home lab remotely from work/school/starbucks?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I have cable modem, it is a static IP. Connection is 3mbp/s, just a modem.

Yes linksys to cable modem, it does DHCP and NAT for my home address. My wired network does attatch to the internet.

Its a 1912 with enterprise, with 2 100mbs ports, at the moment just trying to get my home PC to access the internet through the cisco gear while still running wireless.
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    Yes linksys to cable modem, it does DHCP and NAT for my home address. My wired network does attatch to the internet.

How does your wired network attach -- switch ports on the wireless AP? Do the wired and wireless networks use the same address space?
    at the moment just trying to get my home PC to access the internet through the cisco gear while still running wireless.
    PC is both wireless and wired?
  • Options
    That is correct, the wired network goes to the switch port on the WAP.

Both share the same address space given out by dhcp. Laptop is wireless, desktop is wired.

PS tried to hit you up on MSN, didnt see you on though;p
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you set the linksys to rip v.2
    it should inject a default route (by default) ....

you can just run rip v2 on the other router and they will learn the remote subnets ..... you you can be really crazy and do some redistribution.
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    Both share the same address space given out by dhcp. Laptop is wireless, desktop is wired.

PS tried to hit you up on MSN, didnt see you on though;p
    So 2 PCs.... hum.... so laptop full speed wireless web surfing (and Cisco Doc Lookup) and you want the desktop to be the "lab pc?"

CM <---> AP <xxx> 1912 <---> [ routers, desktop ]

Well... to start off, while you're in the same address space, I think you might need a crossover cable (the xxx above)...... It shouldn't matter if the desktop is plugged into the AP switch port or the 1912 (how many switch ports on the AP?)

And then we get back to one of the initial questions -- what modules. Yeah -- this is no fun until you get the second router into another network and have something to route.

What modules do you have? Each 2600 should have a spot for 1 NM and 2 WICs...

MSN is upstairs in the wind tunnel (home office) with the big server and external scsi arrays.... I'm downstairs in the quiet study area with laptops.
  • Options
    Ahhh....

I figured I needed a crossover cable. I just wasnt sure If, Im connecting from the linksys into the switch, is there even a "need" at the moment for the 26xx to be hooked up, other then pinging around and testing out different routers type?

Maybe Im thinking to far into this. I was trying to bypass my WAP, and hook the cable modem directly into the switch, but then it came about, (in my mind), there would be no layer 3 device to route the packets out of my network....Then I went into the Well, I only have 1 static IP, so if my cable modem isnt doing NAT for me, how Do I enable it on my switch or can my switch even do NAT, and set my range of IP's that it would translate...Then Im back to needing my router pluged in....

So in my understanding, my modem(incorrect name I know!), should go into a router, that router into a switch, then that switch can go into whatever. So what i was looking at was getting a WIC1 T1 module(Pricey), to hook my cable modem into, then the normal fast ethernet into the switches 100X port, then out to whatever...

How far off base am I? I imagine this is a task a CCNA should be able to accomplish, so Im starting to feel like I didnt even read the book, because it covered frame relay and such where they give you all the information to plug into the commands, but it never seemed to go over, if its just a cable modem what you do. Also, from an onlooker point of view, as a CCNA shouldnt i be able to configure a router to do NAT/DHCP? I took a class, with a few friends, it was over 4 weeks, and of course we set up vlans, and the frame relay, showing how to ping each other, access list and stuff. However, we never set this kind of stuff up...Feeling kind of like, I only know HALF the basics if that ><
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    Ahhh....

I figured I needed a crossover cable. I just wasnt sure If, Im connecting from the linksys into the switch, is there even a "need" at the moment for the 26xx to be hooked up, other then pinging around and testing out different routers type?
    You can't do anything fun yet, until you get some more interfaces. You can practice password recovery techniques, play with the config register, backup IOSs and configs to a TFT server, and if you have different IOSs -- practice upgrading/downgrading (after doing the backup first).

While you are in the same address space, you can create a few loopback networks on each router, and route those between each other.... and your AP and ping them from your laptop and desktop.
    Maybe Im thinking to far into this. I was trying to bypass my WAP, and hook the cable modem directly into the switch, but then it came about, (in my mind), there would be no layer 3 device to route the packets out of my network....Then I went into the Well, I only have 1 static IP, so if my cable modem isnt doing NAT for me, how Do I enable it on my switch or can my switch even do NAT, and set my range of IP's that it would translate...Then Im back to needing my router pluged in....
    You should be able to do NAT on the Router, and use DHCP to get the public IP address from the cable system.... and create access control lists to secure your router and network.
    So in my understanding, my modem(incorrect name I know!), should go into a router, that router into a switch, then that switch can go into whatever. So what i was looking at was getting a WIC1 T1 module(Pricey), to hook my cable modem into, then the normal fast ethernet into the switches 100X port, then out to whatever...
    Well, no WIC1 T1 -- won't talk to the ethernet on the cable modem.
    How far off base am I? I imagine this is a task a CCNA should be able to accomplish, so Im starting to feel like I didnt even read the book, because it covered frame relay and such where they give you all the information to plug into the commands, but it never seemed to go over, if its just a cable modem what you do.

Cable modem just gives you another network.....

If you had a 29xx switch, then you could plug the cable modem in (with a crossover) and do router-on-a-stick. The VLAN would isolate traffic between the cable modem and an ethernet sub-interface, and another sub-interface could talk to the rest of your home network. That would get you around needing a router with 2 ethernet interfaces. icon_lol.gif

Eventually you could do
    CM <--->Router<---> <Switch><---> <AP>
    but that's where you need the 2nd ethernet interface, or a router that supports VLANs.

Or more fun, but possibly slower depending on what serial interfaces you get...
    CM <--->Router<***Serial***>Router<--->Switch or AP

And yeah -- NAT and access lists and all sorts of good stuff! Even more fun depending on the IOS feature sets you have.