Has anyone gone for their masters later in life?

2»

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■

Looks like I will pass on the masters this year as I just took another step up in my career (second role change this year lol). I will get that masters one day.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am started a DSc program in August and looking to come home from the Middle East. Going to be fun times ahead  
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    carenator said:
    Master is a waste of time, money and efforts. I mean if you already earning a lot from your current job, why do you bother educating yourself further? You may as well do something to enjoy life such as traveling around the world. Life is short and we should do something enjoyable in life.
    Can we ban this guy yet ? 
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    carenator said:
    Master is a waste of time, money and efforts. I mean if you already earning a lot from your current job, why do you bother educating yourself further? You may as well do something to enjoy life such as traveling around the world. Life is short and we should do something enjoyable in life.
    That is certainly a take, though I am not sure it’s a good one. 

For some folks, especially those who frequent TE, education IS something we enjoy. 

Others are trying to make themselves more competitive in a job market. 

Others don’t have recent education experience and their bachelors from 1983 doesn’t hold the same weight that it once did. 

Some would like to move into a management track. When a masters isn’t required, it is often highly encouraged.

Some like the more formal education style a degree offers when learning new technology.

Finally, there are some that think stopping is a sign of weakness. We don’t want to throw in the towel. We don’t want to stop. We don’t want to enjoy our sunset years waiting for death to overtake us. We choose to lean forward, and actively live life instead of letting life be something that just happens to us.

Does that clear it up a bit?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    balance said:

Some people who fail at something and give up will then attempt to discourage others from attempting that same thing. I think we should learn from, rather than expunging, examples of this behavior.
    JDMurray said:

Some people who fail at something and give up will then attempt to discourage others from attempting that same thing.
    I joined TE to do exactly that LOL
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited July 2021
    I have seen job openings that list Masters as preferred requirement.  These are technical openings, i.e architects, directors, head of technology etc.

Some Masters programs can be more technical than academic in nature. SANS is one example (https://www.sans.edu/academics/masters-programs/msise)
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    balance said:

Some people who fail at something and give up will then attempt to discourage others from attempting that same thing. I think we should learn from, rather than expunging, examples of this behavior.
    Its a fair perspective. But, at the same time, many folks come here for the camaraderie and support. Someone **** on people's efforts and goals is also counterproductive to what TechExams has always been about.

Just an alternate opinion. I have always had a great deal of faith in how you handle things here, @JDMurray. I am not about to start doubting now.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Masters? Hell I don't even have an associates degree. While I occasional toy with the idea going back to college to get a degree, there really isn't a return on investment that I can see. I'm already earning a pay range that tops out at 130k + bonus. Having a degree will not increase the pay range and I'm down to my last 15 years or so of working. Other than bragging rights, what's the point?

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
     Other than bragging rights, what's the point?

Isn’t this always the point :smile:
  • changlinnchanglinn Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Masters? Hell I don't even have an associates degree. While I occasional toy with the idea going back to college to get a degree, there really isn't a return on investment that I can see. I'm already earning a pay range that tops out at 130k + bonus. Having a degree will not increase the pay range and I'm down to my last 15 years or so of working. Other than bragging rights, what's the point?

To be fair I was in pretty much the same boat before my masters. I was a Cyber Security manager. Though I have more like 20years left of work. I did it to move more into the exec, I'm thinking of MBA after.
    A+, C|EH, CISSP, CISM, CRISC, GSTRT, MCSA:Messaging, MCSE:Security
    "Brain does not meet certification requirements, please install more certifications" Me
    Currently Studying: Cyber Security masters and ISC2 CCSP.
    Security blog; http://security.morganstorey.com
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in the middle of trying to decide on this and I'm in my late 30s. I have a long time desire to move in to management as well as teach. For me, it's probably going to be needed.
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ended up starting the WGU in Cybersecurity IA and on track to finish in 3 months (3 classes waived) for a total cost of 2500 ish with employer paying for some it. opens just a few more doors but overall I’ve learned a decent amount of new material/better understanding of it. But for a grand total of 4K overall for the program the ROI will be likely be better. TIER 1 college isn’t going to get me that much better offers in gov contracting to offset 50k+ loan and already top 5% payband for my position. So for my circumstances it’s worth the extra work/upfront cost
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□