Options

InfoSec Skills for CISM Prep

ToscyToscy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
edited January 2021 in CISM
I am currently studying/prepping for the CISM exam through an InfoSec subscription, taking the CISM Learning Path.   
A few observations, so far:
- The narrator is awful.  Speaks in such a monotone voice that it's difficult to stay focused.  Videos are very short, with little explanation.  
- Practice questions are decent, but when you get one wrong, the "explanation" section only says "Oops!". 
- The entire learning path says it should be complete in ~5.5 hours.  Seems awfully short.

So far, I'm not impressed with InfoSec's CISM "learning path," and while it sounds like I'm trying to complain, I'm wondering if I'm missing something somewhere.

Has anyone else done the self-study prep through the InfoSec subscription?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    edited January 2021
    Some thoughts:
    • Can you adjust the playback speed? Sometimes bumping the speed to 1.25x or 1.5x will make a slow, plodding narration more listenable.
    • There is a difference between a certification "practice exam" and "teaching exam." A practice exam is meant to be an approximate simulation of what you may see on the actual exam, while a teaching exam will explain why answer options are (in)correct, but are not necessarily the format and content you will see on the actual exam.
    • The stated duration of any training course is usually the time to play the entire course at 1.0x speed non-stop. In reality, you will be stopping play to take notes, replaying sections to get a better understanding, etc. A realistic estimate is that it will take you double the course duration to make a thorough study of the material.

• Options
    ToscyToscy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for the suggestions, explanation, and clarifying the practice exam v teaching exam.  You are correct that I am taking the practice exam.  Do you know if InfoSec has a teaching exam option?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Toscy said:
    Do you know if InfoSec has a teaching exam option?

You will need to contact a sales rep at Infosec Institute for that answer. I do not have any hands-on experience with their materials.