Options

Practice Question

6. You are the administrator at a huge company. You just recently upgraded almost all Windows 98 clients to Windows XP. In some rare situations you installed Windows XP on a second partition to create a dual-boot installation. At one of these clients you need to instal a new 40 GB hard disk and format it as one partition which both operating systems will be able to access. What should you do?

I'm still studying for the 210 instead of the 270, but I decided to take the practice exam here for the hell of it. In the above question, obviously you need to keep the file system as FAT32 for the dual boot. Was the 40 gig size on purpose, or did XP somehow remove the 32 gig limitation from FAT32? Or is it really intended that the 8 gigs of space are going to be wasted? ;)

I know the FAT32 limitation isn't the purpose of the question, it's making sure folks know what file system is required if you want to dual boot a win9x along with a 2k/xp setup, I'm just a big fan of consistency hehe
= Marcus Drakonblayde
================
CCNP-O-Meter:
=[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
=CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I know the FAT32 limitation isn't the purpose of the question
    it is... although the it is not a FAT32 limitation, it is a limitation of XP. It's also explained in the explanation and even contains a reference to MS.

a. Use Windows 98 to format the partition with FAT32.
    b. Use Windows XP to format the partition with FAT32.
    c. Use Windows 98 to format the partition with NTFS.
    d. Use Windows XP to format the partition with NTFS.

The correct answer is a. The new partition must be formatted with FAT32 in order for both Windows 98 and Windows XP to be able to use it. Windows XP can format FAT32 up to 32 GB only.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/administration.shtml#filesystems
    In the above question, obviously you need to keep the file system as FAT32 for the dual boot.
    Always look beyond the obvious. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    duh, that's right, I forgot about the cluster size past 32 gigs making fat32 way inefficient. my bad :)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=