What do you use Python for?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Personally.  What type of use cases do you use?  

I am currently using it for Excel and file manipulation along with some calculations.  NumPY is a really cool library allowing  you to vector your array's to speed up processing time.  My next journey is API connectivity and sourcing data using those tools.  

Anyway enough of me, just curious to see what you all use it for?
Tagged:

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Automation tasks, data conversion, and experimenting with APIs exposed by Cloud providers.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited July 2021
    JDMurray said:
    Automation tasks, data conversion, and experimenting with APIs exposed by Cloud providers.
    That's really cool, I love using it.  It's addictive to be honest, once you start to understand the syntax you can really pull off some pretty remarkable things.  

I love automating my job and making it easier lol.   Controlling the PC is what it's all about.  
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have started using it on a Raspberry Pi along with an electronics kit. Lots of fun tinkering and learning.
    edited July 2021

Controlling the PC is what it's all about.  

I have always enjoyed writing software that (externally) controlled and monitored hardware. Writing (internal) firmware is a completely different animal, where half of your debugging is just trying to figure out what the (friggin') hardware is doing.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray said:

Controlling the PC is what it's all about.  

I have always enjoyed writing software that (externally) controlled and monitored hardware. Writing (internal) firmware is a completely different animal, where half of your debugging is just trying to figure out what the (friggin') hardware is doing.
    That is impressive @JDMurray

I'm just satisfied merging files into one set or splitting them apart and filtering using the correct Python libraries.  In Pandas there are set and frozeset objects which work a lot like SQL, which is pretty cool.  You can join the sets like you would in SQL and use the variables to create new dataframes and then eventually kicking out a really nice report.  With matlabplot.plotpy you can start to build some pretty cool visuals.  

I finally took the plunge and really am enjoying it.  VBA is horrible compared to Python lol.  

VBA is horrible compared to Python lol.  

I was a Visual Basic (3,4,5,6) programmer for 13 years. You get use to it. Nothing faster for banging-out a working Windows app back in the day.  ;)
  • ArlesArles Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for sharing your experience!  It was very interesting to read about the difference between working with hardware and software. It sounds like a challenging, but also very exciting area.