Options

W-2/1099 with another company

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I currently took a role with a data company, start the following Monday.  However, since there is no one able to do my job in my current position they wanted to contract me for a few months.  I would do the work I wanted and only do it for ~4 months until they can get someone ramped up.  I log my hours in Kronos, and they completely understand anything I do would be "off hours" due to my new role.  

Thoughts?  Any experience with this, any suggestions on expectation setting?

Comments

• Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited August 2021
    When I left my previous gig and moved out of state, they asked me to do the same. I was contracted for about 3 months until they found a replacement. It was my first time doing it. I logged all my hours and itemized everything I could and threw it on an invoice I created. It was easier than I expected, but I already had a good relationship with the organization so I'm sure that helped. My hourly rate was higher since I wasn't an employee with the benefits and I was 100% remote on the other side of the country.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Neil86 said:
    When I left my previous gig and moved out of state, they asked me to do the same. I was contracted for about 3 months until they found a replacement. It was my first time doing it. I logged all my hours and itemized everything I could and threw it on an invoice I created. It was easier than I expected, but I already had a good relationship with the organization so I'm sure that helped. My hourly rate was higher since I wasn't an employee with the benefits and I was 100% remote on the other side of the country.
    Neil thanks for the heads up.  It sounds like I'll be marked down as a part-time contractor for 6 months.  After that I am done, the good news my job history will run up over 2 years which looks good lol.  Estimated ~10 hours a month, not bad.  

It's been clearly stated all work would come after hours when my current position (which starts next week) completes.  
  • Options
    @Neil86 How did you list your job timeline?  Did you show an overlap with the 3 months extra?  If so did you indicate you went from full-time to part-time or just leave it all together   I would assume that might be confusing if you broke it out but you never know.  
  • Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On my resume I just lumped it in with the time that I spent as an employee with the organization. I was contract with them full-time so I was doing the same thing as before, just remotely and under different terms. Then, during the interview process, I just explained the situation to my current employer. However, looking back, I probably should have separated them just for clarification. I don't think my current employer contacted the previous one, but if they did I wouldn't want any confusion or issues due to misinformation on my resume.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would at the very minimum purchase errors and omissions insurance.  Ideally, pay a lawyer to set up an LLC and have the insurance.