IT Courses in English recorded by Non-Native Americans

JuanMartinJuanMartin Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
edited November 19 in Educational Resources
Is it true that Americans don't buy IT courses (self-study) recorded by foreigners? They prefer native English-speaking courses and don't like (or don't buy) Europeans, Indians or Australians, right?

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 1,975 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting topic. I am an American living in Europe so have taking my share of trainings by non-native English speakers, but have never taken the nationality of the instructor into consideration when choosing a course. I prefer knowledgeable instructors regardless of their native tongue. Maybe someone that struggles with certain accents might find it problematic, but that has not been an issue for me. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA and more.

2021 goals: AZ-303, AZ-304, maybe CRISC.

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec CISSP SSCP GSEC EnCE C|EH Cloud+ CySA+ CASP+ PenTest+ Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 12,477 Admin
    edited November 19
    For me it's important to be able to easily understand an instructor's presentation regardless of their national origin. If I am constantly distracted by not recognizing the presenter's pronunciations of words, the timing or enunciation of the presenter's accent, or the presenter's overall voice quality or recording fidelity, I will adjust the playback speed of the video (or podcast or audio book) to try and find a setting more palatable to my ear/brain. If a written, English-language transcript is available, such as on LinkedIn Learning and Pluralsight, that makes it all the easier to overcome any difficulties I might have in understanding the instructor's presentation. If I cannot adjust the presentation to suit myself, I will then only use the presentation slides and transcript.
    One interesting thing to note is that Americans tend to be more attracted to British-speaking presenters. There is something about the British tone and presentation style that Americans find compelling and makes them feel they are getting better information from a more informed and reliable source. This also includes Australian accents too--as proven by the presenters at Digital Cloud Training and A Cloud Guru.
  • yparkypark Senior Member NoVAMember Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't mind the accent as long as I can clearly understand the presenter at the pace I like. I am more picky about their overall attitude and delivery. I love Keith Barker but I can't stand Anthony Sequeira. No offense to Anthony (his content seems great).
    2021 Goals: [JNCIA-DevOps] [JNCIA-Cloud]
  • yoba222yoba222 Senior Member Member Posts: 1,236 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As an American, English and Australian accents are fine for me. Even some non-English, European accents are okay too. For whatever the reason, I have the hardest time following thick Indian accents, so I avoid that training when possible.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP