Options

Changing Career Path

sodumpsodump Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi , I have been thinking to change my career path as a pentester . I am CS graduate and working as Full stack web developer for 2 years. I have work with both mobile app and web app. I have always interested in cyber security . As there are few opportunities to start career as Pentester in my country I decided to not choose this path. As I said , I am passionate about cyber security . Now I want to make a change to my career and start as a Pentester. I would really appreciate your valuable suggestion . TREAT me as a NOOB. I want career guidance from where to start . Which exam to go for ? any suggestion you think will add value in my learning path. Thank You :)

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    edited November 2021
    Welcome to TE! :smiley:

What is your background in pentesting and what have you already done to learn more? Have you looked at the pentesting certifications (PenTest+, eJPT, OSCP), or worked on any of the pentesting elearning sites (TryHackMe, HackTheBox), or subscribed to any Bug Bounty programs (HackerOne) for practice? As a developer, you can also contribute volunteer work to many Open Source pentesting projects.

• Options
    Thank you for Warm Welcome. 
    I am linux enthusiast . Working with it around 5 years. Just out of excitement tried few tool in kali . Having some udemy course . But not proper determinate as now.  Now I wanna go proper certified way with exam . Which exam preparation should take first and next way to move up ?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    You should consider the eJPT and PenTest+ exams.

Coincidentally, Humble Bundle just released a No Starch Press hacking and pentesting bundle.

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums

fantastic advice from JD as always! Pentesting will be right up your alley

I always recommend cloud certs for people wanting to get into security, I believe they give you a skill thats in demand and helps build your foundation

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sodump said:
    Hi , I have been thinking to change my career path as a pentester . I am CS graduate and working as Full stack web developer for 2 years. I have work with both mobile app and web app. I have always interested in cyber security . As there are few opportunities to start career as Pentester in my country I decided to not choose this path. As I said , I am passionate about cyber security . Now I want to make a change to my career and start as a Pentester. I would really appreciate your valuable suggestion . TREAT me as a NOOB. I want career guidance from where to start . Which exam to go for ? any suggestion you think will add value in my learning path. Thank You :)

just as a word of warning...everyone wants to get into Security You face tough competition. I have met a lot of people who wanted to do Security in IT, but they are doing something else instead. It is the words I have commonly heard out of many co-workers mouths at IT Jobs I have had "I want to get into Security".

I guess where to start? Well I had passed the Security+ exam... maybe you  can start there for certification exams.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod

I have commonly heard out of many co-workers mouths at IT Jobs I have had "I want to get into Security".

I hear that, but when I follow that with "What have you done to get into security?", I hear crickets.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    I hear stuff like, "I want to get into Cyber Forensics!" I then ask, "What do you think Cyber Forensics is?" Then I hear crickets.