Options

Indeed Questions with Required Experience

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
Are you guys honest with your experience on the Indeed experience questions?

It seems like if you’re honest about your experience, then the application status automatically goes to “Not selected by Employer” if you ignore Indeed’s message about not having the required experience and apply anyways.

On one hand, I feel like I’m short-changing myself by being honest and automatically rejected.  If my resume won’t make it to a human in the first place without fudging my experience, then I’m not really losing out on anything if an employer rescind an offer due to the fudged numbers.

On the other hand, I have hope that employers due look at applications that were rejected, but I’m not very optimistic.  This is the only case where I can see being honest with your experience on those questions help.

Comments

• Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I remember encountering a few of these when I was applying. I did put in an estimate of the years of experience I had in the areas asked, but can't remember whether the rejection or denial was due to it. Regardless, these guys are probably looking for unicorns, so even if you applied, don't get your hopes up so much and keep applying for other roles that interest you. 

Good luck in your job search.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    It's almost certainly due to it.  When I submit an application, click on the application status, and it's immediately "Not Selected by Employer", then you know they're filtering applications based on the responses to the questions.

To make things even weirder, I'll get emails from recruiters via Indeed with a subject line that says "We'd like to receive your application for our <position> role."  The preview on my phone will say "Indeed highlighted your resume as a match for our <position> opportunity" where <position> is the job they're advertising. 

These positions typically only match based on the job title.  For example, one position had Network Engineer in the job title which matches a position on a resume, but they require 3 - 5 years of Azure experience.  I don't have any Azure experience on my resume. 

The only explanation I can think of is either they personally reviewed my resume and didn't think the lack of Azure experience was a deal breaker or they're casting a wide net and sending that out to everyone who Indeed finds as a match and then use the questions to filter out people who don't have the experience they're looking for. 

I'm leaning towards it's casting a wide net and hoping to find someone that happens to match, but wasting everyone else's time.  At that point, it seems like it's only fair to waste their time and make my experience match what's required for the position.  Maybe if they have to spend time reviewing applications that don't have the required experience, then they'll be a little more judicious in their use of the "Indeed highlighted your resume as a match" email.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    edited February 2022
    It seems "Not Selected by Employer" is rather ambiguous in meaning. Does it actually mean "Rejected by potential employer" or "Not yet selected by any employer?"
    If it is a purely automated filter indicating you didn't meet the employer's criteria, can you resubmit the application giving a different set of answers?
  • Options
    The "not selected" text is in red, bold letters with a pink background while the other jobs just say "Applied":

It's hard to say if it's a "Not yet selected" status like you say, but if that's the case then they would have to go through the "Not Selected" applications to pick it out.

If I click on the job posting and try to apply again it says I've already applied for this position.  There is an option for me to withdraw my application, I'm not sure if I would be able to reapply after doing so.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    edited February 2022
    I seeing "Not Selected" = "Rejected" :|
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those positions that you are interested in, have you tried checking if those are posted in other platforms as well such as LinkedIn, Seek or in Corporate websites? Submitting your applications directly in one of those would allow you to go around the number of years of experience, I think.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    @JDMurray - That’s how I see it too.

@Info_Sec_Wannabe - That’s a good point about checking other platforms.  I’ve noticed that none of the jobs I applied to on LinkedIn had any filter questions.  It either sent me to the company website or just had me uplod a resume.