Options

CyberSecurity Certs for Lawyers?

LAWYER2LAWYER2 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all, 
I know there were a few lawyers among us and I'm wondering if anyone has taken any Cybersecurity certs before or after the IAPP certs? I currently work in a CPO role, am CIPP and CIPM certified but am interested in possibly pursuing a CISO type role. I know the CISSP requires 5yrs of actual security experience (among other criteria) and I'm not quite there yet. I have a technical background so its not completely new to me.  Any recommendations on where else to divert my efforts? 

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    CISO is a business role, so the CISM is in there with the CISSP. There are several certs targeted directly at the CISO role, but I don't know if any of them are good or respected.
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you for sharing! I think this is probably the best way to go. I have access to free training through LinkedIn learning through my company. 
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Your privacy designations ringed a bell and the ISACA Privacy Engineer certification came to mind that has the more technical aspect of privacy. I would recommend to see how much you can cut down on the 5 years requirement for the CISSP based on your educational experience perhaps. Otherwise the CISM is a great stepping stone and then eventually leading into the CISSP. I do agree there will be overlap. CISOs are broad in oversight and I believe the ISACA certifications will align with the CISO role quite well, they are very enterprise centric.
  • Options
    It appears the CISM has the same five year eligibility, albeit with some shortcuts similar to the CISSP. Ironically, they knock two years off for having a MBA or Masters in cybersecurity, but no love for the JD lol. Any idea if ISACA grants any equivalency waivers for some of these areas? I was going to reach out to thier general customer service number and ask, but was skeptical whether I'd get some substantive input. 
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Both ISACA and (ISC)2 have a long list of cert that will waive one year of experience. I believe Security+ is accepted by both orgs.