Options

Career Direction Input? (Appreciate it!)

Tkprice97Tkprice97 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited June 2022 in Introduce Yourself
Hell everyone,

I am hoping to get some guidance to what IT career I should aim towards? A little about me, I have a MA & BA in Criminal Justice & Criminology, BA in Psychology, and extensive internship experience with law enforcement. I am actively pursuing the United States Space Force (USSF) and am attempting to enter their cyber/intel or cyber operations career fields.

I want to focus on cyber security and critical infrastructure protection. One day I would like to have skills that would allow me to travel the world while working too though.

Some general questions: What certifications should I focus on? How should I spend 10k and 6 months of time; should I get certs and experience, attend a bootcamp, self-study, or get another BA online? What is everyone's thoughts on the USSF for cyber security knowledge?

Currently, I have A+ (1001 in 4 weeks, and 1002 in 1 week), currently expect to earn N+ in a week or so. I study 4-6 hours per day and have little challenge learning new material. I expect to get S+ in the next 6 weeks. Where should I go after, PenTest+ or CYSA+, or is there more career applicable certs?

Comments

• Options
    latverian45latverian45 Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited June 2022
    Congrats on all your accomplishments.  . I have an A+ and Net+ cert as well and I will be honest with you.  they will give you   foundation to  grow/build on depending on the path you are wanting to follow, ...they pretty much just look good for a resume booster  outside of  giving you that needed foundation to build on   But they can be used as your two needed electives as well for some Certs unless things have changed while ive been out of the loop.

Hard to imagine anyone wanting to go from a career in law enforcement to a career in IT.  Id trade you in a heartbeat if I could but you and only you know what is going to make you happy and life is too short not to pursue your own happiness.

Just curious but with your qualifications have you considered going for the F.B.I?  You could then have the the best of both worlds.  You could still be in law enforcement and work in IT at the same time.

Whichever path you choose I wish you success.