Options

Two conditional job offers

mrundecidedmrundecided Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
edited July 2022 in IT Jobs / Degrees
First time poster, long time lurker of this Forum.  I need your assistance with a "first world problem" involving two job offers.

I have worked for the Department of Defense for 5 years as a GS-12 and have been denied a promotion to a GS-13 for the 5th time.  Recently, I received two job offers from DOD Contractor firms:

DoD Contractor Firm 1
Job: Senior Security Engineer
Summary: Perform blue team security assessments on customer networks.
Salary: $165,000
Benefits: 3 weeks vacation

Note: I live in Maryland and would have to move to Chantilly or another city in northern Virginia. This would require me to provide a 60 day notice to my apartment, hire a moving company, and move to an apartment.  I haven’t received a final job offer and the start date is August 1.  The move, breaking my lease, switching apartments, and hiring a moving company would cost probably ~$12,000  (I have the money, but it would be expensive).  My future supervisor seems nice and this is the the type of work I want to be doing.

DoD Contractor Firm 2:
Job: System Vulnerability Analyst IV
Summary: Perform vulnerability assessments on software/hardware products for customer.
Salary: $195,000
Benefits: 5 weeks vacation

Note: I just received a conditional job offer, but the recruiter mentioned the position hasn’t been fully funded yet.  The start date might be middle of August or early September. Also, it would be a 15 minute commute and I wouldn’t have to move or switch apartments.

Should I decline the first offer and wait for the second offer to be fully funded? Or should I throw caution to the wind and move to Virginia?