Having Multiple Remote Cyber Jobs Now The Norm?

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
A buddy of mine told me that most qualified cybersecurity professionals now maintain multiple jobs since everybody is working remote.  The ones who have single jobs are now the exception.

So is this true?  If so how exactly do go about finding the second job without conflicting with your existing employment.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
Tagged:

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hummm I dont think it is something really widespread. There are surely some exception, and people juggling between 2 jobs, but IMO, it is not viable.  Does having 2 "gig-like" job possible yes.. 2 full-time jobs.. no, unless you are a slacker in one of your 2 jobs. 
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
     :D:D  
    There really is NO loyalty anymore.

egrizzly said:
    If so how exactly do go about finding the second job without conflicting with your existing employment.
    Whelp... i suppose you got out and Find your FIRST job.
    Figure out the In's & Out's.... and learn how to do the job satisfactorily.

Then,
    once you are comfortable with the Job... go out and try and land the 2nd Job.

Good Luck!
    <3<3
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    . 2 full-time jobs.. no, unless you are a slacker in one of your 2 jobs. 

or one of two jobs are just very quiet

To answer OP, it's definitely not the norm, but it happens. Those who do it usually keep it a secret because it's not exactly legal.

Others do one full time job and one partish time like driving an uber..that's common too
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do not recognize this trend at all. Maybe a side project as a volunteer, but not full blown employment with two entities simultaneously. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    We're too busy where I work for people to consider a second job. It's also difficult to find a 2nd job that isn't considered competition or other ethical dilemma for my employer.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would be afraid to get out of touch with the new stuff.. Infosec/Cybersec are domain where you need "time off" to study and keep relevant.