Where to go after CompTIA A+?

BasedThotBasedThot Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just finished up earning my compTIA A+. In addition to A+ I have the PCEP entry-level Python cert. Worked hard for it and looking to just take a week or two to relax but I'm also wondering where to go from here? I work in manufacturing right now with no IT or tech experience. Going to start looking on Indeed and applying after the holiday. Since I have no experience, would it even be worth it to go for the Network+ at this time? I can't see an employer hiring someone for a network role with no experience. I was also thinking about getting a General Business Administration 16 credit cert. from a local community college. I also know basic Spanish and have thought about pushing to become fluent. Just kind of weighing my options and looking for advice at this point, thanks! 
Tagged:

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Is there any IT happening at your current employer in the location where you work? If so, any chance of getting to know the IT people there?
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As @JDMurray said, maybe a lateral move into your own companies is possible, that would be the easiest.  Also I would suggest an IT related college degree even if you start by doing it part-time.. It will open up door by itself.

• BasedThotBasedThot Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Is there any IT happening at your current employer in the location where you work? If so, any chance of getting to know the IT people there?
    There is. We have one IT support guy and one system administrator. They just hired the IT support guy about four months ago, I put in for it but at the time I didn't even have my Core 1. They're both hard to find, I haven't seen either of them out and about for the last couple weeks, it's a huge facility. 
    Sounds like they may be need a third guy soon. Find them and get their "inside advice" on how to get hired there. It starts with who the hiring manager is and getting to know him/her/them.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Other than being a Desktop Technician.... What's the point of the A+ certification nowadays?

is it only good for "breaking into" the I.T. field?

/shrug
    edited November 2023
    The foundation of Information Technology are hardware, operating systems, networking, databases, software (application use, programming), information management (security, Cloud), businesses processes, and project management. So A+ is a good place to start for those people not use to skinning their knuckles while building a computer.