Options

Another Resume Help topic....

wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
So Ive been reading ths post about resumes, thoughtd Id try to get some quick pointers on mine.

Here we go...

Walter ~
A+, Network+
ADDRESS
CITY STATE ZIP
Home Phone XXX-XXX-XXXX
Walter@aol.com

Objective: To obtain a career that utilizes my extensive customer service background, computer knowledge and learning new skills to promote and grow within that career.

Qualifications: Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Typing 55 WPM. Able to perform multiple tasks while remaining focused on objectives. Knowledge of computer systems, including Microsoft Office(Excel, Word, Database, Spreadsheet), Windows (95, 98, 2000, Me, XP). Building desktop PCs for family, friends, and clients, providing technical support, creating home networks both wireless and wired with Multiple routers/hubs, hardware and software upgrades for the last 5 years. Offering technical support for laptops, hardware and software upgrade services, creating wireless home networks for the last 5 years as well.

Experience
June 2004-Present Customer Service Representative, CIGNA Healthcare
Answer inbound phone calls from Medicare providers and beneficiaries, assisting with claim status, ordering duplicate remits/EOBs, questions on Medicare policy and helping provide access/directions on uses of websites and other technical issues. Maintain that all callbacks scheduled are closed within 5 business days. Help supervisor with daily functions, including making callbacks, ordering duplicate remits, or consulting on situations where claims have denied in error. Replying to written inquiries by providers and beneficiaries. Train other CSRs how to handle and respond to written inquiries. Work extensively within provider contact center acting as individual help desk. This function involved training, assisting, and mentoring individuals on MCS program issues, problem solving (including application issues and hardware malfunctions), and adjustments to previously processed claims.

June 2003-June 2004 Customer Service Representative, RMH Tele-services
Answer inbound phone calls for UPS. Helping customers track packages. Schedule packages to be shipped, give technical support for www.ups.com, report any lost or damaged packages, give directions to nearest facility, or any other inquiry they may have. Sitting side by side with other CSRs to offer feedback to improve their quality.

October 1999-December 2003 Customer Service Representative, Bellomy Research
Conducting outbound surveys. Answering inbound calls for the website www.ticketreturn.com and giving support for the site, processing and finalizing the ticket transaction process. Live quality monitoring of other representatives, including scoring calls conducted, and providing feedback on how to improve their calls. Assist supervisor with daily functions such as preparing documents for finished jobs, helping other CSRs, and monitoring job progress.

Education:

A+, Network+
Currently attending UNCG for computer certifications, for Certified Cisco network administrator.

Interest and Hobbies: I have many interests and hobbies: working with people, travel, fencing, cooking, music and the stock market. Much of my time away from work is spent with family, friends, pets and any computer game or PC challenge. Some of my free time is spent evaluating, and solving computer problems, making house calls to provide computer services.

Just looking for some points as to see how to get my objective off there and, if interest and hobbies are really needed? A few friends when we got together for a brainstorm on resumes, decided it looked good, but it wasnt for an IT resume. Also how should I list education? I only have the basic high school, not a college degree, so should I even list it?
70-291 Next....

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you have broken the golden rule

1.. not to use objective, go for a summary of your skills

2. qualifications is a no, no.. use a skills list & don't describe them

3. theres not need to tell them about your hobbies or provide references if they want to know they'll ask in the interview

otherwise everything else is fine
    :D
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    Ok scratched the hobbies. What about education? Should I just delete it and cover it with certifications? Only having A+, and network+ at the moment though would make it seem kind of slim to me.

New Skills, that took over qualifications,

Skills: Extensive knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Windows (95, 98, 2000, Me, XP). IT technician with 5 years of experience in offering both in person and over the phone technical support for laptops, hardware or software upgrades, and creating wireless home networks. Previous experience with Cisco routers/switches, such as performing lab type simulations, configuring home lab (with different varieties of routers and switches).

Cant seem to come up with a good summary statement other then what I had and just replacing objective with Summary.
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok scratched the hobbies. What about education? Should I just delete it and cover it with certifications? Only having A+, and network+ at the moment though would make it seem kind of slim to me.

New Skills, that took over qualifications,

Skills: Extensive knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Windows (95, 98, 2000, Me, XP). IT technician with 5 years of experience in offering both in person and over the phone technical support for laptops, hardware or software upgrades, and creating wireless home networks. Previous experience with Cisco routers/switches, such as performing lab type simulations, configuring home lab (with different varieties of routers and switches).

Cant seem to come up with a good summary statement other then what I had and just replacing objective with Summary.

education is fine, if you have taken college courses list the total number of hours completed, if you have taken a tech class list them as well... it only adds to your resume as they can see your definetly applying yourself even if you didn't finish college you still have the potential to
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons