Options

Can't remove "Program" Item in startup.

ic3hattic3hatt Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

Quick question, I have this issue with a blank program icon "Program" with the command line "C:\Program" Files\Teams Installer\Teams.exe --checkInstall --source=PROPLUS" that I have not been able to remove from the task manager startup screen and I'm not sure what to try next. Notice how it has an extra quotation mark after Program and before Files.... The target location doesn't exist. 

I've tried: 

Finding it in the startup programs folder and deleting it... - not located in the folder.

Uninstalling Microsoft Teams and reinstalling.

Checking WMIC and finding a "com.squirrel.TEAMS.TEAMS" line item in it's place and running a shell delete command for that location. Did not work

Going directly into the registry and deleting the key (it deletes from the registry and still exists in the startup menu as a blank program.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    edited October 2022
    The icon is blank because the ICON BITMAP resource is located inside the specified Teams.exe file which doesn't exist on your system.
    Have you tried running a cleaning program like CCleaner?  You can delete Startup items in the Tools > Startup screen.
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    The icon is blank because the ICON BITMAP resource is located inside the specified Teams.exe file which doesn't exist on your system.
    Have you tried running a cleaning program like CCleaner?  You can delete Startup items in the Tools > Startup screen.
    I tried uninstalling the teams.exe program and reinstalling, still shows the blank icon. And the location doesn't even exist.... "...Program" Files" .... If you're referring to the msconfig gui, i went to startup and it forces me to access startup items through the task manager. I've tried deleting it in the task manager startup menu but there's no option for it. I also tried accessing it directly through the location but once again... location non existent. 
  • Options
    Once again, have you tried using a program like CCleaner to fix this problem?
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    Once again, have you tried using a program like CCleaner to fix this problem?
    No I have not, I'll try that now.
  • Options
    No luck with ccleaner / disc cleanup, any ideas?
  • Options
    I'd now suggest Microsoft support because it's an issue involving Teams.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Start up items under task manager are stored in various locations in the registry, make sure you review all the locations: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/setupapi/run-and-runonce-registry-keys

Example of just a few locations:

Folder:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

64Bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT said:
    Start up items under task manager are stored in various locations in the registry, make sure you review all the locations: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/setupapi/run-and-runonce-registry-keys

Example of just a few locations:

Folder:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

64Bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU SAVED ME!!! 

It was in the wow6432Node subfolder in the registry.. thank you so much!!

Is that the 64-bit version OS startup menu? And the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" is only the startup menu for 32-bit OS's??
  • Options
    Strange that the Registry cleaner in CCleaner didn't pick that up. Maybe it didn't see a problem there.