Options

Cant Ping

ObligedObliged Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am so frusterated... While connecting to my pc through a console cable, I can communicate with my router and run commands. However, I cannot ping my PC or vise-virsa.

I have setup the Router E0 IP address and subnet. "192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0"
"no shutdown"
"no keepalive"

I am embarresed to ask such a uber-noob question. But I have searched over the last hour and could not find what I'm looking for.

What am I doing wrong? icon_cry.gif
roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Obliged wrote:
    I am so frusterated... While connecting to my pc through a console cable, I can communicate with my router and run commands. However, I cannot ping my PC or vise-virsa.

"no shutdown"
    "no keepalive"

I am embarresed to ask such a uber-noob question. But I have searched over the last hour and could not find what I'm looking for.

The console port is used for a serial management connection, you need to connect the ethernet interface of your router to your pc nic card with a cross cable.You will also need to configure the ip address of your pc nic card to be on the 192.168.0.0/24 network for example 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    arayaray Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

As the other person said, you will need to use an ethernet connection to be able to ping the device (from your computer).

Out of interest do you have any other cisco equipment? - I found that a stand-alone device is not enough for me to work things out.

If you need help working out the subnetting between the cisco and your computer don't be afraid to ask! :)

Cheers,
    Andrew.
    (Australia)

Obliged wrote:

"no shutdown"
    "no keepalive"

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Obliged wrote:
    "no keepalive"
    The no keepalive is only good for having a disconnected ethernet port say its up when its not connected....

Is this a 2500? Is it plugged into a switch (with a straight through cable) or directly into a PC (with a crossover cable)? Can you see the indicator light for the port? Or does the Transceiver block it -- in which case, how are the lights on the transceiver (look at the link light first)?

Once you take out that no keepalive, if you can get an interface status of UP and UP, then it should just be a network (addressing? routing?) problem.
    Obliged wrote:
    Nothing. You're just learning how to do this stuff the right way -- once you figure this out you'll never forget it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ObligedObliged Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I discovered my problem was my failed extra NIC. It works intermittenly, therefore it was hard to determine... so I just chucked it :P

Crossover cable from my Ethernet0 via transciever on same subnet as PC. I have two 2500's and one 2900 series switch. Bought them all used; did the memory upgrade and now working IOS upgrades today. Then back to the icon_study.gif

Thank you all for your help... you guys rock icon_cool.gif
    roses are #FF0000
    violets are #0000FF
    all my base
    are belong to you