Options

RESUME REVIEW! ...and Looking for Some Opinions and Suggestions

nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited August 2023 in IT Jobs / Degrees
I'll try to keep this concise as possible: A little about me...

I'm currently working as a teacher in Taiwan since about 2020, but I've been in IT for about 20 years and I'm ready to come back. I know that the job market seems to suck right now and I've got a couple of additional pointers against me, but I'm willing to take the time to find a good fit. Here are the issues that I face:

1. Local rates of pay suck. I've got to find something remote or based in Europe or America if I don't want to work eighty hours per week for 30K per year. Money goes a lot further in Asia, but pay rates are A LOT less locally.
2. It's been about three years since I've worked as devops or sysadmin, but I've upskilled some on cloud and version control in that time.

Please take a look and feel free to add your experience, opinion, and/or insights and thank you in advance!

2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
"I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When i eventually escape overseas...

i'm gonna try and find a remote helpdesk job where i can just do password resets all day :smiley:

But if that doesn't work out.... i'll probably do short-term contract-to-hire gigs here for 6-8 months... and then Quit and head back overseas for the rest of the year.
    Rinse & Repeat.

As for your resume... i really have no input.
    I do think its awesome that you used the Pandemic as an opportunity to do something different.
    That's my favorite part of your resume :)

Personally, i think your age might work against you.
    I'd scrub all your work history prior to 2010.
    Get rid of that MCP cert from 2003.
    You got your Bachelors in 2010...  Good job! List your experienc going forward from there.
    Change your first line from "20-year track record" into something closer to "10+ years track record".

Do you have a linkedin profile?  i've heard it helps some folks find employment.
    Good Luck & keep me posted!