Options

Failed SY0-601, Retake? or is CySA, just good?

AxtonAxton Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I fail SEC+ back in late June, close, but not close enough,  741,  I am looking to take the CySA in November, or push it to December.  School, required me to take the SEC+ after 12 weeks as part of the course grade.    Now, I am required to take the CySA exam after 18 weeks, I had a break between my two CyberSecurity courses, in which they gave a Word Process, stupid lessons, on Microsoft Word.   Now, I spoke to the instructor about the requirement to take the CySA exam , advising him that I did not feel I was ready and he mention, (like a hint), the exam is only 15% of your grade, so if you have above 90 in everything else, you can possible pull an 80 to 85 and pass the course.   He reminded me that the voucher is good for one year and I should take ASAP. (as life gets in the way). 

So I was planning to purchase another SEC+ voucher from the school, to retake the SEC+ exam.    But if (when) I pass the CySA, does it count more for employers then the SEC+ and CySA.   

I am an old IT Technician, unemployed and returned to school to update my IT knowledge, and almost done, expect to finish by December, with about 4 more courses remaining,  I was certified in A+/Net + back in in 2009 and Sec+ back in 2010, which I know is expired.  

What you think??   retake Sec+ at my next opportunity.   I am also looking to take Cloud Essentials and Cloud+, as the school replaced my A+/Net+ vouchers with these.  

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    edited October 2023
    It is recommended that a CySA+ candidate have both the Security+ and Network+ certs or equivalent knowledge prior to attempting either the CySA+ CS0-002 or -003 exam. The CS0-002 exam will not longer be available to take after December 5, 2023, afterwhich CS0-003 will be your only option. While it is said that the two exam versions are about 80% similar, there have been many updates in information (cloud security, virtualization, threat hunting, SIEM/SOAR/EDR/XDR, etc.) from when -002 was released three years ago. 

So you really should be able to pass the Sec+ (and Net+) before going on to CySA+. If you haven't been studying the CS0-003 objectives then you also have the -002 sunset deadline in two months to consider.
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    It is recommended that a CySA+ candidate have both the Security+ and Network+ certs or equivalent knowledge prior to attempting either the CySA+ CS0-002 or -003 exam. The CS0-002 exam will not longer be available to take after December 5, 2023, afterwhich CS0-003 will be your only option. While it is said that the two exam versions are about 80% similar, there have been many updates in information (cloud security, virtualization, threat hunting, SIEM/SOAR/EDR/XDR, etc.) from when -002 was released three years ago. 

So you really should be able to pass the Sec+ (and Net+) before going on to CySA+. If you haven't been studying the CS0-003 objectives then you also have the -002 sunset deadline in two months to consider.
    So your saying that I 'should not' take the CySA+ exam, unless I am Net+ and Sec+ Certified??  I received these Certs, back in 2009/2010   or that I am NOT allowed to take the CySA+ exam unless I am Net+ and Sec+ Certified??  Someone should tell the school I am attending.   

I have been working help desk for the last 11 years, since 2010, (resigned in 2021, due to FED covid mandate), so I was not aware of the test rules changing.   Dang I did not know that.  

So I should retake the Sec+, before I take the CySA+.  Dang, I have been studying for the CS0-002 all this time and I should spend more time on the Sec+.   

Thanks for your comment,  I now, know what I have to do.   I was told it would be the CS0-002, not the CS0-003?   
  • Options
    I am just passing along what CompTIA says; I'm not making any recommendations. You should speak to your academic program coordinator for your best options.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    JDMurray said:
    I am just passing along what CompTIA says; I'm not making any recommendations. You should speak to your academic program coordinator for your best options.

So, that does not really answer the question.   If you have CySA+, do you need Sec+?  

I did a bit of youtube research.  And found this videos. 

videos 1 2 3

Pretty much recommended that you get Sec+ prior to taking the CySA+, , it is not a requirement to take CySA+, but even if you Pass CySA+, it is recommended that you have Sec+ as an additional Cert. as it is more highly recognized. 

I have have been out of the area of Certification since about 2009, when I obtained a bunch of Certs, in 2009.   A+, Net+, XP Office, XP OS, and Window 7 OS and Windows 7 Administrator.   

So the CySA+ is new to me. 

I think it was the Windows 7 Certs that got me hired, as the agency was moving from XP to Windows 7 at the time. 

I am guessing that CySA+ is just part of the school program and program progression.  A+ > Net+ > Sec+ > CySA+   After that, is all up to you.         
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    What is your career path? The CySA+ is an information security operations certification for SOC analysts. Is that the kind of job you are trying to get?

You will need to ask your academic program advisor about what these certifications mean to the degree track that you are following.
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    What is your career path? The CySA+ is an information security operations certification for SOC analysts. Is that the kind of job you are trying to get?

You will need to ask your academic program advisor about what these certifications mean to the degree track that you are following.
    First, thanks for all your comments, you made some information available that I was not aware of.   

Career Path??   "a job",  I will take helpdesk again, if it pays more the $20 an hours.  I left a $22 an hour helpdesk management position back in 2021.  I was out of work for about 7 months, before I decided to back to school, I figure a refresh would be good,  I would not have gone back if they had not gave me credit for a lot of my previous schooling and promise 1 school year, turn out to be a bit longer. 

I am an old man, (55) and ready to retire.  

But seriously, I understand what you are saying.  I am interested in Security, but I understand, it is very difficult field to get into, knowledge and skills go a long way.   I have been working on laptops/desktops since 1999, so my knowledge on hardware is solid, learning program trouble shooting is very hands on experience.    Learning some of the new technologies was very interesting, studying A+/Net+/Sec+ over again.  I am looking at some Microsoft Certs, mainly Windows 10/11 administration.  Maybe some Azure and 365.   

I did a lot of different things at my last employment, most was just above HelpDesk,  I build a Deployment Server and created the first images for Window 7, I build a Windows SUS Server to keep the Clients updated.    BUT, when I asked for a Desk Audit, (position review).  Those duties were removed, to keep as HelpDesk Technician.   I think that I would really like being a 'system administrator', but I think, just to get back to work a simple "helpdesk" position would be just fine.   I am hoping to go back to FEDERAL, as I have 11 years and I my age, I can retire in about 10 years.   

Unfortunately, I have had several 'deadend' jobs in my life, just to make ends meet and I have one failed career, two, if you count the last one.  

I am rumbling on.   I think the CySA+ is just part of the program to give students a better employment opportunity,  although I am not essentially looking for a Security or CyberSecurity position, I think it would benefit me as a 'standing out' Cert. on my resume.     Since, I am actually almost done, taking the CySA+ is a mute point, I will just go with the flow.   

With the exam changing, I figure one of two that I can do.    If they give me voucher for  CY0-002, I will take it by December 5th, if they give a voucher for CY0-003, I can take my time and study more and take in Jan 2024.   I am "kinda" in a crunch as I need to take two Cloud Certs by June 2024, and re-take my Sec+ again, some time soon.  I also need to make time to look some of Microsoft Certs that I am interested.  I need to make a month to month plan. 

So, career path,

1. Help Desk. 
    2. System Administrator
    3. Security (low/medium end) 
  • Options
    It sounds like you both need to work and want to retire soon. (I'm a few years older than you so I understand this very well.) You haven't mentioned the degree you are working on, but I'll assume it's IT and possibly cybersecurity-related. With all the systems and network experience that you have, and with a cybersecurity degree and a few related certs, you can get the security analyst equivalent of a "Help Desk" job in a SOC. The first thing you have to get rid of is the idea that it's difficult to get a cybersecurity job. There is competition for every job opening; you just need to be better than your competitors in the eyes of the hiring manager(s).
  • Options
    JD,   Thanks for the words of confidence. I was busy all last week Mid-Terms.   It is hard to believe they give you website instructions and let you go at it, but must contain certain aspects, next, here's a single player game (java), make it a two player game.    Security was not so, bad,  just answer 45 questions on Cyber Security, short essay paragraph style. 

The degree I am working on is called. 

Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Technology Systems

https://southwestuniversity.edu/colleges/college-of-digital-technology/

Really, not much different then my previous Associate Degree from Western Technical College, back in 2009. 

INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND SECURITY

I got my voucher on Monday and I was assured that it was CY0-003, which means, I have just about a year to take this exam and NOT fail it.   With that in mind.  I have set up plan for the next year, or months.    

1. Take the Cloud Essentials by End of November this year. 
    2. Prepare for the Security + 601, and take in January of 2024, see if I can get Educational Voucher from the school before I finish, I understand the 601 will be changed out in April 2024. 
    3. Prepare for the Cloud + Exam, and take in April or May, I have to verify when the voucher was issued. 
    4. The leave the rest of the year, until October 2024 to take the CySA Cy0-003

I would like to make some room for AZURE and Windows OS Client Exams.   

See where all this take me, I am hoping to find work by Jan, since I will be finishing in late December.  

I read somewhere, that studying along side some PENTESTING would help for CySA. 

So there you have it, thanks for all your comments. Appreciate it. 
  • Options
    Axton said:
    Pentesting (and programming) will help with the Pentest+ exam, not the CySA+ exam. There is vulnerability management topics on CySA+, but nothing that would require hands-on pentesting skills.
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    Axton said:
    Pentesting (and programming) will help with the Pentest+ exam, not the CySA+ exam. There is vulnerability management topics on CySA+, but nothing that would require hands-on pentesting skills.
    Thanks for the advice. 
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□

Im gotta  DISAGREE with most of this thread.

Firstly:
    Axton said:

The degree I am working on is called. 

Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Technology Systems

https://southwestuniversity.edu/colleges/college-of-digital-technology/

Really, not much different then my previous Associate Degree from Western Technical College, back in 2009. 

this Dude already has an ASSOCIATE's degree??

WTF.
    Then WHY the heck is he trying to get ANOTHER associate's degree?

i'm sorry... but i think he's been given some counter-productive advice.

55 years old.

Sir, You don't "need" another Degree.
    What you Need is Knowledge & CERTS.

Figure out What "You" WANT TO DO.
    Then go take the CLASSES that ALIGN with your interest.

My goodness.
    Many employers will NOT care about a new Asscociate's degree.
    Age Discrimination is likely his #1 obstacle.

2nd Point)
    So You already Studied for the Secuirty+ earlier this year...
    but You FAILED th exam back in June.
    Big Deal.
    it doesn't "matter" that your Failed... it matters more whether or not you LEARNed & COMPREHENDED the curriculum.
    You said you got a 741... and "passing" score appears to be 750.

So your PASS/FAIL result probably came down to ONE question.
    That tells me that you understood More than you gave yourself credit for.

It is true:
    You do NOT "need" the Security+ in order to take the Cysa exam; it is Not a "requirement".
    So consider skipping the Sec+ exam.
    Use that time to  Go work on the Cysa exam instead.

3rd Point)
    Why are you even studying for Sec+ and Cysa+ in the first place?
    Because that is your "Interest"?
    or because that is what the Associate degree required?

Personally, i agree with you:
    You should be trying to go toward System Administrator.
    I would recommend focusing on the MS365 certs/curriculm instead of your CIS Associate's degree.
    See if Southwest university has Microsoft365 course you can take instead. If Not, see if your local community college has  courses.
    Or, you can always also look into Online Training as your primary material.
    You already have some understanding of "Beyond Desktop Tech" and you think you have an interest.

So Pursue it.

Lastly,
    You mentioned that you want to get back to a Federal helpdesk position.
    Well, if that's true... then the Security+ certification is probably a REQUIREMENT for those kinds of roles.
    So, for that reason only.... you May want to still Focus on passing/earning the Security+ certfication.

But again...
    you DON'T need an Associates degree in order to achieve that goal.

• Options
    edited November 2023

I will not argue, you have valid points.

#1 Point,  

WTF.
    Then WHY the heck is he trying to get ANOTHER associate's degree?

Simple, “money”!!

As a Veteran, I was provided with opportunity to take part of a program for Veterans affected by Covid-19, basically my unemployment.  The VA paid for my school and provide a monthly payment for cost of living.  Having a family, that was my best option, having been out of work for 7 months.  

I took the opportunity to update my Certs, (A+/Net+/Sec+), and obtain current IT knowledge. I was advised by an instructor that I did not need to update two of my Certs (A+/Net+) as they were good for LIFE (achieved in 2009), but my Sec+ was expired.   I took this opportunity to request two CompTIA Vouchers (In place of A+/Net+) for Cloud Essentials + and Cloud +, (these expire in May 2024).

#2 Point

I decide not retake the Sec+ exam a second time, as my course work moved in HTML, JAVA and CYSA+  (just part of the program) and found myself concentrating on the course work and preparing for the CYSA+ Exam.  I will be retaking SEC+ in Jan 2024, SY0-601, after I take the Cloud Essentials at the end of NOV.

“My goodness.
    Many employers will NOT care about a new Associate's degree.
    Age Discrimination is likely his #1 obstacle.”

I would hope that employers know the law about Age Discrimination.

#3 Point

SEC+ and CYSA+ are just part of programs.   Apparently, they have four areas of study.

Basic IT (A+/Net+)

IT Security (Sec+/CYSA+)

Programing, (C#)

Web Develop (HTML/JAVA) 

At least this is what I think.

I am looking into Help Desk as this may be the easy area for me to get into.  I will be applying for System Administrator Too, but Help Desk should be easier.   

YES, I am looking into 365 Courses, given the time, I will review most of the areas of Microsoft 365.

Last Point.  

The last agency, (in my opinion), hired me back in 2009, because I was Windows 7 and Windows 7 System Administrator Certified.   My first mission was to migrate all their Windows XP machines to Windows 7, I built a deployment Server and WSUS Server (Windows Server 2008) to get the ball rolling.  I think all the CompTIA Certs was window dressing, as I did not have my Sec+ until the following year.   They were a very IT knowledge lacking agency to be very honest.  Their update and imaging method consisted of using Novel Zenworks and Updating devices individually. 

So…as stated in one of my last post.  My plan of Attack.

1.    Cloud Essentials + by end of November (only because I have the voucher)

2.    Sec + by end of January 2024 (going to purchase new voucher from school)

3.    Cloud + by the end of April 2024 (again, only because I have the voucher)

4.    CYSA+ (003) by the end of September 2024. (The School did provide a voucher)

I will throw in some 365 study time in there.  

Currently, I have about 6 more weeks as I have one single HTML course to complete and will finish my Mid December.  Their scheduling staff missed a few courses when they only scheduled me for two courses  on 2 six week terms.

After that I am hope to land “any” job and hopefully,  a “good” IT job.  I will look at other areas as the years progress.   As silly as it sounds, I need to be employed for another 15 years, got two children that need to go to college.

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ohhh okay....

So you enrolling in School allowed you to take the classes "tuition free".
    That makes sense.
    Can't argue with that logic :)

Regardless of the "Law"... Age Discrimination is real.
    and Unfortunately, it's hard to prove... so you just gotta be aware of it in your decision-making.

I'm glad you're planning/going for Sec+ exam again in January, i recall seeing government gigs "requiring" that certification... so good to give it another attempt.

Personally, i think you should start working on MS365 skills immediately after that.
    Keep doing the School curriculum... but start learning about the MS365 on your own.
    (imo, Comptia certs are kinda overhyped in terms of getting a job)

Nonetheless, Definitely wish you luck!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I am looking at these CERTS.   MS-900, MS-700, SC-300, MS-102 and MD-102.   I spend about 1 day a week, (4 hours or so, normally on the weekend), Reviewing MD-102,  Currently looking over this:  https://www.udemy.com/course/md-100windows10course/?utm_campaign=2023-11-01&utm_content=educational&utm_medium=3065812&utm_source=email-sendgrid&utm_term=108921066  

Just need to be sure of my knowledge, so after a few practice exams, a bit more review,  I will know when I am ready for the exam. 

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IMO, get the Sec+ it opened more doors for me than CySA+ did...I do not think HR staff or recruiters know WTH the cert is or what the acronym stands for, LOL!  Keep trying, it took me twice to pass the Sec+ but it was worth it for me.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP