Options

Web Content Filter Catching Non-Browser Traffic

robertcozbyrobertcozby Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

My firewall's Web Content Filter is catching traffic that appears to be generated by simply opening emails (NOT clicking any links).  It does not coincide with any browser activity.  I didn't know this was even possible.  Is there a way to pinpoint which emails are doing this?

I'm a novice working toward my CompTIA A+, so elementary explanations are appreciated!  Thanks

Answers

• Options
    robertcozbyrobertcozby Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm wondering if there's a configuration in Outlook that somehow engages emails more . . . intimately than the default read options?  One particular offending workstation has had problems with embedded links on Phishing Tests in the past and I'm 99% sure the user hasn't been doing anything except opening the email.

If anyone has encountered anything like this before, I would love to hear about your experience.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    There are email security solutions that work with MS Exchange to identify and trap phishing email before they get to the user's inbox. You should look server-side for security rather than for a feature built into the Outlook client.