Options

What is business Internet supposed to be today? MetroEthernet? ???

That Random GuyThat Random Guy Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
I started a new job as a network engineer and I am not all that aware of what's typically used in the USA for business Internet as of 2024.

When I was getting my CCNA, I recall Cisco content mentioning things like serial links, Frame Relay, PPP—but they always seemed to make sure this was understood as a point-to-point sort of solution that was meant to support hub and spoke designs where an HQ would connect to branch sites. They did not ever seem to correlate any of that to just plain Internet access for the business.

Fast forward to today where I am being exposed to certain things on the job, I am being told that things like T1 circuits and other such could have been something businesses used for business Internet.

The last environment I was at where I was provided access to the network, I recall them specifically connecting their network edge device to their ISP via Ethernet. Why?

All of this just confuses the heck out of me because what Cisco told me is not what I am seeing in reality. Is connecting to your ISP via Ethernet (using something like CAT6) automatically equal Metro Ethernet? Is this the standard now?

If not, what is? What are businesses using for their Internet circuits?

Comments

• Options
    TaylorEvansTaylorEvans Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Replying for the updates.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Probably best to forget most of what you read from the ccna curriculum.

I got my ccna back in 2015-ish... and YES, the material was still talking about Frame Relay, serial ports, clock speed,  PAGP, VTP, etc.

Very Outdated.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    That Random Guy said:

What are businesses using for their Internet circuits?
    Businesses that use an ISP will use fiber, cable, DSL, or T-carrier leased lines for Internet connectivity. Customer of NSPs will use OC leased lines, cellular or satellite radio for connectivity. 

CHatGPT4 gen'ed a good write-up of IXPs:

An Internet Exchange Point (IXP) is a critical infrastructure in telecommunications networks where different networks—such as Internet service providers (ISPs), content delivery networks (CDNs), and large-scale enterprises—come together to exchange Internet traffic between their networks. This exchange of traffic allows for more efficient data routing and reduces the need for data to pass through third-party networks, which can decrease latency, improve bandwidth usage, and reduce the costs associated with data transit.

Key Features of IXPs:

• Physical Infrastructure: IXPs typically consist of one or more network switches to which each participating network connects. These switches facilitate the direct routing of traffic between networks at the exchange.

• Peering: At an IXP, networks engage in "peering" agreements, which are arrangements that allow two or more networks to exchange traffic with each other without cost or on mutually agreeable terms. This peering is usually governed by policies that can be broadly categorized as either "open" or "selective" peering.

• Reduced Latency and Costs: By allowing direct data exchange locally rather than routing traffic through longer, more expensive paths, IXPs help reduce the latency and the overall cost of Internet traffic delivery.

• Improved Bandwidth Efficiency: Traffic exchanged locally at an IXP uses less long-haul network bandwidth, which is often more limited and costly than local bandwidth. This can lead to more efficient use of a network's available bandwidth.

• Enhanced Redundancy and Resilience: Having multiple paths for routing traffic can enhance the resilience and reliability of Internet connectivity, as traffic can be rerouted more easily in the event of a network failure or congestion.

Importance of IXPs:

IXPs are essential for the development of the Internet in various regions by providing a physical infrastructure where large numbers of networks can efficiently exchange information. They are particularly crucial in developing regions where local traffic might otherwise have to travel long distances (often to other countries) to be exchanged, which can be both costly and inefficient.

Examples and Global Reach:

Major IXPs can be found in many large cities around the world, including the Amsterdam Internet Exchange (AMS-IX), the DE-CIX in Frankfurt, and the London Internet Exchange (LINX). These IXPs handle massive amounts of data, with AMS-IX and DE-CIX often handling several terabits per second of peak traffic.