Options

Security+ SY0-601 exam retiring

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,058 Admin
For those who may not be aware:
  • On July 31, 2024, CompTIA will retire the Security+ SY0-601 English language exam. 
  • The new CompTIA Security+ SY0-701 exam was launched on November 7, 2023.
  • Any vouchers purchased for Security+ SY0-601 that have not yet expired may be used for the new Security+ SY0-701.
More information on CompTIA's Security+ page.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited April 17
    I'm still rocking my SY0-401
     :D:D

Its actually coming up for renewal fairly soon.... i wonder if its even worth the $150 to renew it.

• Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat said:

Its actually coming up for renewal fairly soon.... i wonder if its even worth the $150 to renew it.

I would recommend renewing it.  I thought the same thing a few years ago and didn't bother renewing my Net+ and Security+ and now for my job and future jobs I was applying to they actually want those certs and for them to be current. A lot cheaper to renew then to have to invest a lot money into study materials and pay over $300 to take the test because you let certs expire.

... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Options
    Moon Child said:

I would recommend renewing it.  I thought the same thing a few years ago and didn't bother renewing my Net+ and Security+ and now for my job and future jobs I was applying to they actually want those certs and for them to be current. A lot cheaper to renew then to have to invest a lot money into study materials and pay over $300 to take the test because you let certs expire.

Yeah... you have a point.
    for $150... i guess i might as well do it (one last time).

But the Sec+ is a intro-level cert... and i already have higher level certs.

But who knows.... if i got canned next week... i'd probably still rather have it lol

• Options
    volfkhat said:

I'm still rockin' the SY0-101 I took in Jan 2004. :>
  • Options
    Moon Child said:

fyi...
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger  :D
    I really didnt want to... but your story really hit home.
    So  for $150....  i might as well keep it around as a Hedge against job-loss.

but HOPEFULLY... this is the last time i need to renew it.

I have my fingers-crossed that i can make an Early Exit from  the RAT RACE in about 42 months.

• Options
    My cert renewal story has changed this year. I'm applying now for a bunch of teaching jobs for courses based on specific certs. Having the most recent certification is a requirement for job candidates among an increasing number of training and educational orgs these days so much so it's forcing me to re-examine for Sec+, Net+, CCNA, C|EH, etc. However, first up is a cert that, just a few months ago, I thought I would never need: DataSys+. I'm hoping to be posting a review here in the next 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    Boyd648Boyd648 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At first I was like "Of course. I just started studying for it. Of course it's going away" Then I kept reading and saw the replacement test. That goodness. It makes sense to update Security exams because it's always changing.
  • Options
    No worries for you. Anytime spent studying the v6 Sec+ materials is still time well-spent. You just need to find the differences between v6 and v7 and make sure you study the new topics. Here's the high-level diffs from CompTIA:

1. Similar skill level: exam continues to identify early career cybersecurity skills at the two-year level.​

2. SY0-701 has the same number of exam domains (5) but fewer objectives (28 vs. 35) due to a more focused job role in a maturing industry.   ​

3. Related job roles decreased from 8 to 5 as the work of a security administrator becomes more defined and the skills performed are identified with more accuracy. 

4. ​ Several exam domains and exam objectives were re-ordered and re-named to address instructional design improvements.​

5. Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) tasks are better defined for cybersecurity professionals with more focus on reporting and communication, as opposed to the minutia of different regulatory standards and their processes

6. More application of skills and slightly less analysis overall.

Security+ 701​

Security+ 601 Equivalent

1.0 General Security Concepts                      12%​

2.0 Threats, Vulnerabilities & Mitigations   22% 

3.0 Security Architecture                                18%​

--​

4.0 Security Operations                                   28% ​

5.0 Security Program Management and Oversight     20%        ​

--​

1.0 Threats, Attacks and Vulnerabilities        24% 

2.0 Architecture and Design                            21%​

3.0 Implementation                                          25%​