pass mark?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
what is the pass mark for the security+ exam? as ive seen several different numbers?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the test is based on a score of 100-900. You need an 85% to pass, so 85% of 900 is 765 points. Someone correct me if I am wrong please...
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I think the test is based on a score of 100-900. You need an 85% to pass, so 85% of 900 is 765 points. Someone correct me if I am wrong please...

I think you are correct
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Actually, passing is 764 with a scale of 100-900, which when normalized, is the equivalent of an 83 on a scale of 0-100.

I checked this by trying to figure out the point value of each question. Going over everyone's posted scores, finding out missed points by subtracting the scores from the max of 900, the results were all evenly divisible by 8. Since there are 100 questions in the exam, than means a total of 800 points. This would make sense since 900-100=800.

Since passing is a 764, you can't miss on more than 17 questions, since 17*8= 136 which if added to the passing score of 764 = 900, the max.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I have a new theory on how the test is scored. I base this on how the SCP exams appear to be graded.

There's several sections to the test, each section weighted differently. We have been all assuming that each question, regardless of the section it is applied to has the same score, and the variation between sections is based on the number of questions.

Well, here's my take. Each section is scored as if it was a separate test. So if the first section is 10% of the test, and it has 5 questions, each question is 2% of the entire test. Yet, if the last section is worth 30%, and has 25 questions, each question is 1.2%. Of course we still have to adjust the whole entire scaling based on the weird arrangement Comptia has for their test scoring scale as a whole.

So this may explain why to some of us each question appeared to be worth 8 points, where others it seemed to be worth less. Without knowing how many questions are in each section, we can't know what each question is worth. Besides, there's no saying each question has the same value in points.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I dont know if anyone else have heard of this...

I have been told before that about 10% of the questions are ungraded, so that's why it's out of 900.
    Jack of all trades, master of none