Options

Career Advice Needed.....Por Favor...all opinions welcomed..

droma001droma001 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
First let me start by saying... i am in love with this site. I read all the post on here... and KuDoS to all who participate in this community... with that said i need some advice from any and all here.....

My bkground:

In southrn Va
Began working in IT since i was i n HS. gotta four year internship with Ccity Headqurts out of HS there i did everything imaginable as it was a 4year summer/winter internship... Had another helpdesk job with a pharmecy company for 2 years and a TechSup Tier 2 job at a Wireless Phone company for year.... then i made my big leap...Ive had close to 7yrs all together of professional experience.

Im now in an area where 75k (Nova,dc) is the meadian income...and you see it everywhere you go.... A couple of my friends grad. from college and are liviing up here comfortably making mid 50s....

Its an abundance of IT jobs up here...

Now my enigma. I signed with a company who some people would give there hearts to work for. My goal is to get some certs and a TS clearance and then rule the world. (well at least my little world).

I gotta contract hlpdesk job making 35k which is good for southern standards...but not good... in fact barely living by this areas standards...

Now... this is my dilemma... i have experience... and this experience im getting now only adds to it. I really feel i low balled myself. So i began to investigate my job. Found it was a contract with a revolving door...where people leave because the pay sucked.... or there quality of work matched the pay..(in which case they were let go). I also found the salary's for this contract was capped....soo slim possibility of raises...

My moms a vp for a hr consulting company... says it shouldn't be all about salary... and to man up and get a part time job. However my non company loyal generation of friends tell me 2 leave... i know i can get other jobs out here but there are only a handfull that can get civilians cleared...i've found through research... specially at my company... most jobs.... even sys admin jobs require clearances (no certs/degree) bc they hire military.

Our "system admin" does stuff i did when i was 17.

i hate to cut n run.... but I really can't live off this salary up here... it truly sucks. And i really dn't think ill get a raise in 6mths b/c they may not have the overhead.... i love the company tho.... *sighs* icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif any feedback is apprecieated... not that you all can think for me... but just wondering what you all would do.....

sorry for my rambling... just bored at work lol...figged i would get some feedback....

btw... the manager that hired me even quit....... icon_rolleyes.gif
And the Number One reply by programmers when their programs don't work:

1. "It works on my machine."

Comments

• Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Well, your situation looks like mine... I work as a IT consultant but I have a degree in BA. So... what to do?

Started with CompTIA.... now MS... Then Cisco... Then CISM CISA then CISSP... Then CWNP... LPI... And everything I can.

Why? Because I want, I can and finally... I don't want any stupid CIO thinking that I know sh*t.

The best thing you can do is study... Up to now, I'm doing great! By the begging of 2007 I will have every cert I aimed for.

Good luck!!

PS: I started my own ISP at 18... Its quite difficult to proove that to someone no? The funny thing is that I sold it this year!! :D
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    i would try to politely ask for a market adjustment referencing your experience and how much the market in your area will pay you. in my mind this approach is better than forcing their hand with another offer. if you approach them without another job offer it makes you look like you want to stay and be loyal, but would like more money. if you come to them with another job offer on the table it makes you look like you have been looking all along. what kind of relationship do you have with your immediate boss? if you can approach him about it do that, if not draw up a proposal that professionally states why you should get an adjustment, do not put in there that you can't live off what you are making. make it very professional and get your mom to help you out. if they reject you, then make your job choices from there.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    Will have to look that up definitely.... I really like the company. Just feel under_____ (anything will fit). My manager that i have now is brand new. he's pretty cool, allways selling the company to me. He is cool in getting me setup for certs... but i dont' wanna go 5k in debt to a company n then leave... icon_confused.gif Ill definitly look in the market adj. Were losing one rep and gaining another in a week. Mayb that will free some money for me....

Thanks a million :)

• Options
    just remember to keep the request professional, in no way allow any personal feelings to enter the mix. and on top of all else, keep at it if you see a crack in your boss like him saying "we'll talk about it", approach him next week about it and the next and the next. i have gotten two good adjustments in the past two years by following these rules, and i work in a TIGHT company so i know you can get an adjustment.

noone looks out for you except you, stay focused and screw everyone else... get yours.

oh yeah, how long have you worked there?
  • Options
    thx for the info...and the plot thickens.... i just started.... if i can make it to three months... ill be here longer than 75% of the previous reps... which boggles my mind being that it isn't that brain heavy of a job.... everyone so far has said give em six months.... however billz suck and my girl has a spending habit... and paying for my own certs is murder.... icon_rolleyes.gif I normally go by the six month rule but if i wait longer.... it will push back my plans for certs.... ears open...

• Options
    damn, that sort of changes things. in my mind you aren't in a very good position to ask for a raise at this point. you should have asked for more during the hiring process. i know you said it was like take it or leave it on their part, but that is what the employer wants you to think, always know that it is negotiable. considering the short amount of time you have been there i would look for another job...., but it can't hurt to ask for a raise, all they can say is no. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    tru... lol icon_cool.gif . I would hate to do it. But sitting on the subway I wrote down all the employers I saw and looked them up. They all have helpdesk positions so.....might do that. Just not sure what to say to the company.... My fiances pops works for LMCO n wants me to come there...no handouts tho...thing is i know my company will vouch for a clearance if i stick it out.... just not sure if bils will allow it.... smh....

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    From what you are describing now, to what you described in your first post, it seems there's a reason why it seems the market is harboring 50-75K. Unless I missed something, those that have those salaries also have clearance, and from what you are saying, you don't. Unless I missed something.

However, if there is such a turn-around, where is everyone going? Are there more qualifications for where they went than you have?
  • Options
    something else definitaly to look into. I do believe (my non loyal friends) they took another road of it along the lines of html programing and database querying... So that maybe why they are getting more than me. And good point at the clearance jobs.....that is probably why the median is that much higher.... there are entry level helpdesk jobs everywhere that are connected to companies that clear civilians... dunno if they release their salary figures....