Options

One stupid question

Ching01Ching01 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
1.jpg

Just one stupid question, I have a new router 5 with highest ID and priority. It will change the DR and BDR or it will not affect and accept the existing DR and BDR.
[/img]

Comments

• Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    You need to type the command
    Router#clear ip ospf process

on all of the routers participating in the election.

Next time, try doing a search on these forums or at www.cisco.com ...These type of questions can be found if you take some initiative and find them yourself. It will help you ALOT in the long run when you actually have to start troubleshooting things yourself (you can't rely on your coworker or Cisco TAC).
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ching01 wrote:
    I have a new router 5 with highest ID and priority. It will change the DR and BDR or it will not affect and accept the existing DR and BDR.[/img]
    Adding the router doesn't change the existing DR and BDR.

Someday the new router will be King (DR) of the OSPF network, but not until someone (and admin) tell the other guys (the current DR AND BDR) to step aside (that command or power cycle/outage).

Can't see/find the image..... was it anything exciting?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Ching01Ching01 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so if I powered cycle all my routers then my new router will become the DR, and I forgot routing table is save only in RAM.

If you don't want to answer my question it is okay, that's why it is mentioned as one stupid question. I just want to clear things in my head sometimes I forgot what I have learned, too much information in my brains.

Thanks mike
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    You could also just set the priority to 0 on both the DR and BDR. They will immediately surrender their roles, causing a new election.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ching01 wrote:
    so if I powered cycle all my routers then my new router will become the DR, and I forgot routing table is save only in RAM.

Right.... but the routing table being in RAM doesn't matter. OSPF (and all good routing protocols) are about convergence and stability. It won't make the change until it has too. The new router may bring new networks into the OSPF area, and those need to be advertised, and they will be. OSPF isn't going to delay advertisement of the new networks and network convergence to do an unnecessary DR/BDR election.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!