advice needed, no access to routers

webistanwebistan Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know if you have a couple of routers at home and get some hands on, you are probably well-prepared for CCNA. But in my case, I don't have any icon_sad.gif So my qeustion is how effective is using with simulators. Any other suggestions?

I am afraid my $125 may go down the drain if I show up for the exam while I have no hands on with the material I will be tested on.

Regards,
"Don't be consumed by despair."

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Although it doesn't measure up to a real lab, a simulator is better than nothing. However, a home lab is cheaper than a sim, because you can resell the equipment without making a huge loss.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your mileage from simulators will vary, but they are generally adequate for passing the CCNA.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    sprkymrk wrote: »
    Your mileage from simulators will vary, but they are generally adequate for passing the CCNA.

Thats what I was told by our LAN manager at work. I asked him what he thought about Labs Vs. Real, for he has his CCNA. He told me that a lab sim would be fine for the CCNA.

Personally, I agree with him at this point. The only advantage I see with hardware is getting to actually hook it up. I would like to have hardware, but I dont see any advantage over a LAB sim. Am I missing something?
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would like to have hardware, but I dont see any advantage over a LAB sim. Am I missing something?
    As long as you know your stuff and can beat out other job candidates for the job(s) -- or live in a 3rd world country where no on else has access to real hardware to learn and practice -- you should be fine with a SIM.

Packet tracer in the Network Academy -- along with the eLabs they used to have -- was enough for an Academy Student in a 3rd world country to pass the CCNA if their Academy didn't have the required hardware or reserved the lab pod(s) for the CCNP students.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Packet tracer is all you need for the CCNA without a doubt
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Thats what I was told by our LAN manager at work. I asked him what he thought about Labs Vs. Real, for he has his CCNA. He told me that a lab sim would be fine for the CCNA.

Personally, I agree with him at this point. The only advantage I see with hardware is getting to actually hook it up. I would like to have hardware, but I dont see any advantage over a LAB sim. Am I missing something?

Of course you ressurected a thread that has been dormant for 4 years....icon_rolleyes.gif

Simulators have come a long way in the last 4 years.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »
    Of course you ressurected a thread that has been dormant for 4 years....icon_rolleyes.gif

It was either do that or make an entire thread for you just to come and role your eyes and complain and tell me to go search =)
    VAHokie56 wrote: »

Ok cool I have obtained PT - Thank you
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What about job interviews? We've had people get past the technical phone interview and when confronted with a hands on lab test as part of the interview process tell us that they've only worked with simulators.... icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What about job interviews? We've had people get past the technical phone interview and when confronted with a hands on lab test as part of the interview process tell us that they've only worked with simulators.... icon_lol.gif

I should get some slight hands on at my current job.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    mikej412 wrote: »

This is a valid point but some times it just boils down to some people do not have the cash to get gear or are not lucky enough to get gear from work. Also with that being said I think the first couple 2500's i got off of ebay where like 8 bucks so that's not really all that badicon_rolleyes.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    Also with that being said I think the first couple 2500's i got off of ebay where like 8 bucks so that's not really all that badicon_rolleyes.gif

If I could find equitment for sub $30 on Ebay. I would for sure start picking a piece of here and there.