Options

A Tech's software toolkit (2-12-2007)

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Not talking about hardware, but rather, software tools that we use on a daily basis at my job. I usually carry a bunch of CDs around with me, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to share with you guys. Help each other out. ;)
Post some suggestions if you think there's anything I should include. These are my personal tools:

*Operating system discs=
Windows 2000, XP pro/home, Server, Linux distros, Unix, etc. A Knoppix liveCD, for a bootable linux OS. I also have Knoppix STD now.

*98 and NT boot disks, as well as some DiskCopy floppies for copying partitions between drives. I also have a lot of blank floppies available.

*128MB and 512MB USB thumb drives. I have some more tools on the smaller one(winzip, WipeDisk, Hijackthis, DriveCopy files, help documents, antivirus/spyware utilities, etc). I have msconfig on there as well, since 2000 doesn't normally have it installed. The larger thumb drive I like to carry around for larger files.

*Winternal-- Allows you to boot into an ERD Commander-ish interface where you can erase user passwords and make changes to the operating systems on available partitions. Knoppix also works in the same way.

*Keyfinder. So I can view or change CD keys on a machine if necessary. Sometimes my boss gets new CD keys for machines.

*Data recovery software--Easyrecovery, Davory, file recovery and pro 2006 edition, file rescue, recover NT, etc

*Anti-Malware tools:
AVG-free and Avast! for virus protection.
Ewido 4, Adaware SE and Microsoft defender(Windows) for spyware protection. We also have others we use if needed: Spyhunter, Spysweeper, CWShredder, Hijackthis, etc (dozens, one doesn't find them all)
--other antivirus tools include: ClamWin, Bitdefender, A-squared and others. I run them if I have too, as well as some internet scans(panda/trend micro) if I feel the job isn't complete.

-->Note: Norton, McAfee, etc all suck. Don't use them anymore. O_o
Stuff like AVG-free/Avast easily finds 80% more when ran. AVG is also free.

-->Note2: I turn off Windows restore point before running scans, to ensure that the bugs don't come back. Turn it back on once the system is clean. You should do this after cleaning the system, and not beforehand...so if you screw up something, you can fall back on the windows restore points.

Firewalls: *Sunbelt's Kerio personal Firewall 4
*Comodo's Comodo Firewall
*ZoneLab's ZoneAlarm
*Agnitum's Firewall (have yet to try it)

*Executive Diskeeper. It defragments the drive and runs *much* faster than the default one that comes with windows. You can also set it to run automaticly in the background to keep the computer defragmented on a daily basis...since you know the middle aged women in the accounting department next door won't bother running it.

*TuneUp utilities 2007. A new one I just added which has over 15+ different functions ranging from file recovery to disk cleaning and defragmentation of drive space and memory. It cleans the registry and performs a thorough checkup of the entire system. It's excellent and I've been impressed with it...try the trial version.

*ABF Outlook Backup/Express: for backing up Outlook and outlook express data

*Dr. Hardware 2006--something my boss uses. I haven't used it.
*Print screen 32-- never use it, my boss does.

*Registry fixes--Registry clean, registry cleaner, registry first aid, registry fixes, and registryFix.com programs. Also PC-Doctor, which we use a lot.
Note: TuneUp utilities has a feature that cleans the registry, and does a *good* job at it.

*Norton Ghost--9.0 and 2003 editions.

*Microsoft Office 2000 and XP edition. Also have a copy of OpenOffice.

*Misc. software: Adobe acrobat, AOL(for customers) and others. Planning to add Firefox for not particular reason. I also have Penetration testing tools(ethereal, packetyzer, kismet, airsnare, airsnort, snort, etc)...but I don't use them for my job. Random CEH stuff.

I'm just going by memory, so I'll fill in the rest when I have access to my toolkit tomorrow.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Just a couple quick ones that have come in handy for me as well....

1. STINGER (McAfee)
    2. All of the Symantec Removal tools (Don't take too much space and do come in handy)
    3. LSPFix
    4. Trojan Hunter
    5. F-Secure Blacklight Rootkit scanner

Usually add Hijack this to the list as well.
    Just for good measure I usually install Spywareblaster and sometimes depending on the PC ect... I will replace the HOSTS file with one from somewhere like mvps.org.
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. Ultimate Boot CD
    2. Windows Password cracking CD
    3. Backtrack (remote-exploit.org)
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OS disks
    Office Disks
    UBCD
    Bootable Ghost CD
    Bart PE Disk (probably my handiest tool - will be purchasing a licence for the Avast PE disk soon as it rocks)
    Data Revovery Disk

Utilities Disk with Winzip, Winrar, Filemon, Adobe Readers, Tweakui, Network Disgnostics, Software Firewalls, Burn in and Stress Tests, Network Diagnostic Tools, Assorted Web Browser versions, W98 USB Drivers, Open Office, W98 Shutdown Patches, RNAV Tools, Pasword Recovery Tools, LSP Fix

Spyware/Virus Disk with Stinger, Symantec Removal Tools, Adaware, SpybotSD, Ewido, Spyware Doctor, CW Shredder, Hijack This, F-Secure Blacklight Rootkit scanner, Trojan Hunter, Avast, Antivir

Probably a few other things that I can't remember too.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Those are some good additions, anyone else some suggestions?

I just wish they compiled all those Symantec Removal tools into one download. ;_;

KG
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the suggestions mentioned are good ones for a traveling tech, but being a LAN Admin I don't need most of what is being mentioned here. My tools either exist on my servers or are network related (example: pstools by Foundstone),

About the only thing I make sure and keep handy is some sort of boot disk, those already mentioned are great choices - especially a linux boot disk for resetting the local admin password on machines. However, I'll try to add my 2 cents without repeating what others have mentioned:
      Dell Resourse CD's - drivers, utilities, bootable diagnostics (we are an all Dell environment) Win98 boot disk with the addition of smartdrv.exe and readntfs.exe Linux boot CD (see comment above) Custom ghost boot CD for multiple network card drivers Utilities CD with "safe" cmd.exe, md5sum, netstat, nbtstat, pstools, fport, netcat, ipconfig.exe, net.exe and arp.exe in case a system is suspected to be compromised, you never know if any of these command/exe's are safe to run from the machine's hard drive. (think: rootkits) coroner's toolkit Portable Firefox (runs from your USB Thumb Drive):
    http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/browsers/portable_firefox
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Interesting. Yeah, I work on NT networks 90% which is why there is focus there. Portable Firefox...o_o

KG
  • Options
    I'll boot this up.

I added Memtest and Windows memory diagnostic to my toolkit, since I needed some tools for testing RAM. I should also note that I carry a small USB NIC with me(w/drivers) in case the machine I'm working on doesn't have one. This saves me lots of trouble, though it's not exactly a software tool. :p

I've been playing with TrojanHunter recently, but I'm not sure if there are any better ones available.

KG
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

i have only one addition to the massive list, symantec AI setup. I use it on a regular basis when i need to install software to clients

lee h
  • Options
    drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice. My favorite tool is nbtscan. If you havent used it, check it out. I also like to carry a loaded 4G usb stik. Also superscan by foundstone. The new Tenable Nessus is nice, or even Sam Spade to mention a few.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
  • Options
    I've started playing around with a lot of X-ways software, and I've found things like this to be good when you want to find out what websites people have visited:

*X-way Trace

I had a job a while back that required me to use it and I found thousands of websites that had been visited over the course of 3 years or more.

KG
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I carry a lot of the same tools already mentioned, with one notable addition: Hiren's Boot Disc, which is in version 8.0 at the moment.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I use most of what you guys have, plus these here:

Powertoys: TweakUI
    Multilanguage pack (MUI)
    network redistributables of directX, WinXP SP2
    Nero Burning ROM
    Font packages
    Maxtor MaxBlast 3
    Seagate HDD Tools
    WD HDD ToolKit

and these sometimes become most invaluable;
    USB enclosure for 3.5"
    USB enclosure for 5.25"
    2.5" to 3.5" adapter.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to mention my favorite screen capture tool, MWSnap! Its free and its good. Been using it for years without any problems.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Not so much a single tool, but a resource for a number of LiveCD downloads:

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Just to add a couple more recommendations (some have probably been mentioned above):

Winternals (Regmon, Filemon)
    Portable Skype
    BulkRenameUtility
    Sam Spade

Take Care,
    --RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Oh and if you ever need to register ActiveX DLLs or OCXs, regsvr.reg is a fine addition to your toolkit.

It is simply a registry file (double click on it and it adds some settings to your registry so that whenever you right-click on a DLL or OCX file within Windows Explorer, a register and unregister item appears on the context sensitive menu.

Here is the text of the reg file (hopefully it will display okay), so simply copy the following code and save it into a file with the extension .reg (preferrably regsvr.reg, since this is what the author calls it):
    REGEDIT4

; regsvr.reg, Copyright (c) 1997-1998, Chris Sells.
    ; All rights reserved. NO WARRANTIES ARE EXTENDED. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    ; P.S. Enjoy and send comments to [email]csells@sellsbrothers.com[/email].
    ;
    ; History:
    ; 5/13/99:
    ;   Took out registration for embedded .tlbs in DLLs and EXEs
    ;   as it became too annoying.
    ;
    ; 1/12/98:
    ;   Added support for .tlb and .odl files using VC6's regtlib.
    ;
    ; 10/25/98
    ;   Replaced %1 with %L to get long file name support.
    ;   (Thanks to Sergey Tetkin <SergeyT@vest.msk.ru> for the suggestion!)
    ;
    ; Sometime in early 1997: 1st release
    ;   Don, Tim, Keith and I were sitting around at a GCOM talking about
    ;   what a pain it was to perform self-registeration and couldn't I
    ;   add a shell extension to augment the context menu (I had written
    ;   the Win95 course)? I said I could do even better than that and
    ;   this regfile was born.

; Register and Unregister COM DLLs and OCXs
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dll]
    @="dllfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ocx]
    @="dllfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Register COM Server\command]
    @="regsvr32 \"%L\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Unregister COM Server\command]
    @="regsvr32 /u \"%L\""

; Register and Unregister COM EXEs
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Register COM Server\command]
    @="\"%L\" /regserver"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Unregister COM Server\command]
    @="\"%L\" /unregserver"

; Register COM TLBs
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tlb]
    @="typelib"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\typelib\shell\Register TypeLib\command]
    @="regtlib -q \"%L\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\typelib\shell\Unregister TypeLib\command]
    @="regtlib -q -u \"%L\""

; Register COM TLBs listed in ODL
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odl]
    @="odlfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\odllib\shell\Register Imported TypeLibs\command]
    @="regtlib -q -o \"%L\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\odllib\shell\Unregister Imported TypeLibs\command]
    @="regtlib -q -u -o \"%L\""

; Register COM TLBs in DLLs
    ;[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Register Bundled TypeLib\command]
    ;@="regtlib -q \"%L\""

;[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Unregister Bundled TypeLib\command]
    ;@="regtlib -q -u \"%L\""

; Register COM TLBs in EXEs
    ;[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Register Bundled TypeLib\command]
    ;@="regtlib -q \"%L\""

;[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Unregister Bundled TypeLib\command]
    ;@="regtlib -q -u \"%L\""

Take Care,
    RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    I'll bring this back, since I have new additions to throw into my first post. I also appreciate the tools mentioned in this topic.

KG
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows 95,98,2000,XP
    Linux Distros - Unbuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, DSL, Austrumi (Good for NT Password hacking)
    Unix - FreeBSD
    Mac OS 10

AVG
    Spybot
    Zone Alarm
    Aida 32
    Rock XP
    Mem Test
    Pc Check
    DBAN
    Ultimate Boot CD
    Open Office

External USB hard drive with 20 gigs worth of drivers

That's All I carry :0
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Practiced2DeathPracticed2Death Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have but one word.......

JBones
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maximum PC magazine's March 2007 issue had an article on this topic, including hardware. They had some nice, but expensive, ideas including a small monitor (forget the make/model). I'll dig up the mag again and see what all they listed and post the best stuff.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    That's interesting, never heard of something like that. I'll update this list tomorrow if I can find time from work.

KG
  • Options
    Went ahead and added this to my blog...now I need to organize it. <_<; I also found this page which may be useful:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

KG
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A few more, either free or with free "lite" versions.

IOBit Defrag
    Linkscanner
    EEye Blink
    Mandiant Red Curtain
    NoScript for Firefox.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    keithqsrkeithqsr Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for thisicon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    well I'm more a Cisco guy so my tool set is a little different

Notepad++
    Kiwi Cat tools
    Secure CRT
    VNC Viewer
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related