Options

A+/Network+ required job

wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
Curious on how far behind the curve I may be. I see a job posting for a PC tech at a local consulting firm. Description basically says, setting up and maintaining current class rooms, and setting up client sites. Ok, Im thinking looks good. Only requirements: A+, Network+. Bingo!!

So I get a callback, and get an interview. Now in the interviews, he ask alot of stuff I know (from mainly CCNA, alittle from Network) dealing with the TCP/Ip stack, then he moves on to asking about setting up servers, AD, permissions, ghosting, security, encryption, ask me how to step by step set up outlook express(got that right!)......Im like whoa there buddy...now I can see the relevance with the TCP/Ip things, but they seriousely expect A+/Network+ certified people to be able to deal with AD, security and ghosting of servers/networks?

I mean, I have used some ghosting software(in class however, were we ghosted networks and set up backups), but really arent they aiming a bit high? Or am I behind on what I should know?
70-291 Next....

Comments

• Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Like most employers, they want a 20 year old with 30 years of experience. Unfortunately it is an employers market and they can afford to be choosey. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Could be a case, too, that whoever created the ad you replied to did not know what is involved with the certs. If they hear Network+, they might assume that you know everything about the network, including the software side of it. Obviously, Net+ is vendor-neutral and doesn't prepare us for Server 2003 or Netware (even though they ask questions about them on the exam), but some HR people may not know that. Also, watch for ads that list a whole bunch of certs and guidelines, sometimes these guys go too far in listing everything they can think of, but they don't really need it. Worst case is you get some interview experience out of it... icon_cool.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Those questions seem excessive even for the job title of PC Tech.

Well, you might need to know how to deploy a ghost image to a failed or newly installed desktop PC, but the department should have simple documentation on initiating the image install.

Probably the same situation for joining a new WS to the domain, though depending on your account credentials, you may need to work with the domain administrator.