Options

Mixing memery sizes

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have just been given a 1Gig memory stick for my PC in work, (Christmas come early) i already had 2 X 256 and 1 X 512, mobo has 4 banks.

I could have all these sticks in my mobo but i dont know what effects it is having. What i have done is swapped 2 of the 256's with my colleague for a 512, so i have on one side the 2 X 512 and on the other side the 1Gig. This i beleive is giving me dual channel but i dont know what the speed differnece is from one combination to the next.

Does anyone have any info

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Your board has to have dual channel for it to work and the RAM has to be the same size and speed. The speed should be on a sticker on the RAM chip. Anything else defeats the purpose.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    the memory is all the same brand and all the same speed only different sizes, i have 4 bank and they are split in half with a bit of a gap, like i said earlier i have 2 X 512 on one side and 1 X Gig on other and because i know my mobo supports dual channel thats the only reason i have done this

will the performance of this be greatly different to me using 2 X 256, 1 X 512 and 1 X 1Gig, thus not utilizing dual channel
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You'd have to read your user's manual on the MOBO. Some have the 2 channels divided by that gap you talk about, so to take advantage of the dual channel, you have to have equal ram on each side. I don't think having one stick of 1G paired up with 2x 512s on the other channel will cut it.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably the best way to use it would be to have the 512's in the #1 slot in each bank and then the 1G inm the second slot of the first channel.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007