Options

need hands on experience, simulated work environment

ytrav4ytrav4 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to get some hands on experience with networking, So I'm planing on getting a distro of Linux and playing around with it. My question is what is the best network setup that will give me the ability to use all the features that linux offers in networking. I want to learn as much as I can with a reasonable budget. Can I setup a network with two computers and simulate a client server approach that would emulate something on a larger scale, but on more of a fundamental level? What do I need to get something set up that would give me a good learning experience, something like a lab, but with no more than a few computers limited space and limited budget. What books would give me a approach to networking with no hands on experience, as I'm a newbie, specifically I was thinking of trying Suse Enterprise by Novell, is this a good start? As the title says I need the closes I can get to simulating a work environment, user management shares ect.
Am I normal? Depends on the averages we are comparing!

Comments

• Options
    Any ideas?
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

try using vmware or ms virtual pc,
    get a reasonable amount of RAM + better CPU.

cheers : )
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Two computers on a crossover cable is the minimum for a network emulation. I'd suggest three machines on a hub (not a switch) so the third machine can sniff the conversation between the client and server. Throw in an access point and a wireless laptop and you've got the start of a nice lab for any networking operating systems.

As to which distro of Linux to use, they all pretty much have the same basic networking utilities and daemons. If you want a real client/server setup, then RedHat workstation and server is a good way to go. This will allow you to play with the RH enterprise-class configuration utilities. SUSE is anther good choice and is very popular in Europe (both RH and SUSE are good for the resume). Otherwise, I'd just use Ubuntu on one machine as the client and pick-your-flavor-of-Knoppix on the other machine as a server. Have a look through all the Linux distributions at http://distrowatch.com/.

For a syllabus of what to learn in Linux, I suggest having a look at the objectives and study materials of the Linux Professional Institute (LPI) certifications (http://www.lpi.org/en/latm.html).
  • Options
    Thanks for the input I like the cross over idea. I'm thinking of going with SUSE, because Novell has adopted it and they will make that their new standard. Novell was pretty popular I don't know if it still is though.

Any thoughts on books for linux, beginner to advanced?
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    jdmurray wrote:
    I'd suggest three machines on a hub (not a switch) so the third machine can sniff the conversation between the client and server.

You can still sniff with a decent switch, and, with switches, you can practice trunking, VTP, etc.