Options

For those who have passed

saddlebagssaddlebags Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im studying for the Server+ now and a lot of it seems very in depth, so I was wondering if you need experience of Servers to pass this. Is there anyone who has passed it who has had no experience of servers?

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe that CompTIA says you should have 18 to 24 months working with servers. Yes some of it is in depth but then so is a server room. A large one can be a scary sight to some until you understand most of it is redundant. Severs just use more of everything and some parts not generally found in desktops anymore; SCSI, Tape, ECC memory, multiple NIC's, multiple CPU's etc.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It has been close to 3 years since I passed Server+. I had little familiarity with server hardware at the time. It was a very difficult exam for me.

Server+ concentrates more on server hardware. As the TheShadow relates, servers are about more of everything. However, it's not the hardware that make a computer a server. It's the operating system that does that, but Server+ does concentrate on hardware, data storage and backup, and emergency preparedness and disaster recovery.

I don't believe there were any questions that were not some sort of small troubleshooting scenario.

So, you don't want to hurry this one. Use at least 2 sources to study from and, if possible, get some experience with some M$ trial version server OSs and maybe some Linux. Learn about securing that system too, as well as physical security of the hardware itself.

You may even want to consider studying Server+ in parallel with one of the M$ server exam study guides. There is nothing "serverplusy" about the M$ server exams, but you will get a good look at what everyday server administration may entail and, in turn, see the reason behind some of the Server+ objectives. And, don't forget to download the ComTIA objectives and be sure you have everything covered.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki