Options

Question regarding simulations

mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
Does anyone know if it makes a difference if you close your work window when you've completed a sim? For example, is it considered "best practise" to close the DNS console when you've completed a DNS sim? Or should you leave it open? I know when I did 70-290, I would hit all my "OK" buttons then close any screens I was working in before ending the sim. Just curious if that has any effect on the scoring...
Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
WIP: MCSE 2003

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That would be best practice, but I don't think doing so or not doing so would matter, as long as the objectives are met.
    However, I believe you at least have to hit OK or APPLY to any dialog you make changes to, otherwise the action has not taken effect.

That was a long time question of CCNA sims, where normally in the real world you would have to save your work to the router's config. Not doing so would allow the router to do what it was told, until you rebooted the router, where the unmodified script would be read and you would be back to where you were before you worked on the router.

I frequently used to get Netware calls where we'd fix something on the server using console commands, but forget to modify the AutoExec.NCF. When the server would be rebooted, which could be months later, the problem would re-appear.
  • Options
    And is there any penalty to extra clicks? Sometimes I find I click on a few things before I can track down the options I'm looking for. I know MS has their whole "least administrative effort" thing going on, so in the past, once I figured out what I wanted to accomplish, I'd reset the sim and try and do everything in as few clicks as possible.
    Mikey B.

• Options
    Someone had once mentioned that it doesn't matter, once the dialogue boxes are closed with the neccessary changes saved/implemented, the results for those boxes are tabulated for scoring, so even if you miss an objective or two, if other settings/options are correctly configured, you still get points for them. Just curious if that is the case or not...
    Mikey B.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I got full marks for my sims, and I closed out all my console screens and whatnot (right back to desktop) before clicking done, in case anyone was wondering.
    Mikey B.

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    It doesn't matter on the number of clicks or how you got to the dialog (if the sim allows multiple ways to get there).

The point of 'least admin effort' is the number of configuration changes to achieve the goal, if there is more than one way to configure the system to achieve the goal. For example, if you had an OU with 5 child OUs (but no other objects in the parent OU), and you were asked to set a group policy to assert something for all objects in all child OUs, least admin effort would say to place the GPO on the parent object versus putting it on each and every child OU. Both would achieve the goal, but only one would be least effort.

Now if there is more than one way to get to the GPOs, that wouldn't matter, as long as you applied the GPO to the parent OU with the right policies.

However, resetting and redoing if you were hunting before would assure you didn't 'break' something during your 'hunt' that you weren't supposed to touch.