Need help. discuss value of MCSA and MCSE with me. Need ....

Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have to talk with my boss tomorrow about cert values. He is trying to put a system together to access the situation of a raise for people who obtain a MCSA and/ or MCSE. I have to come up with a number that he might be able to convice the higher gods in city hall to accept for pay raises of the techs.

What is a nice fair raise (that must be very reasonable to a CFO) for a tech or net admin who gets these certs.

I am hoping to convince him to give a pay raise of 3K for getting a MCSA and then another 3K for MCSE. Does this sound like a good number? I havent done the research yet, but that is what i will be doing tonight. Dont forget that this will have a large effect on our pensions and regular yearly increases as well because the small percent raise become larger due to this. Is there a place you guys know i can look to have hard evidence of what people get when they certify?

Well im off to certcities to look............

Comments

• Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh yeah, and what about CCNA and CCNP?

thanks
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    Shoot high because they will likely try to negotiate down.

Read the salary surveys at http://www.mcpmag.com/ for benchmarks on wages versus levels of certification. Experience counts a lot too in this day and age.
    :)
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    The contracting company I used to work for many years ago increased salary $250/yr. for each certification exam passed. Back then that was crap based on what they were billing me out at but I stuck with it because it was good experience, they paid for all my exams, and it was still the best money I had ever made compared to my previous salary as an Accountant.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    thanks guys. I will print some of these articals out. THere really was nothing to spacific due to actual raise for a cert, but some of this may help. Wish me luck!
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I think location and regional demand will have something to do with it all too.
    Thanks for the help guys. Well it seems the boss will have to determine what the certs are worth. He is thinking that he may give us a 500 raise for each indivdual test that is passed, providing he preapproves we take that test. So anyways, it looks like the mcse which is 6 test or so would yield about a 3000 dollar raise. THat is not to shabby, especially when you consider it would help raise our pension that little bit in the long run.

Ah and now for the good news..... I have officially been named Network Manager for our IT department! (they call it manager because they dont want anyone to join the Administrators union unless they have been here for ever because that would set me up for lifetime free health insurance after 30 years, lol) But im not to worried, i have only been here two years and i just got a 22% raise, whooo hoooo! Now I work directly under the Assistant CIO who just happens to be one of my friends that i hang out with :) Together we will be managing all 19 schools and the data department here in cityhall. I cant wait to learn all that is to come in the next few years. This should be quite a journey.

Anyway, Now i have to get that security+ test approved and purchased so it may qualify me for an elective in MCSE.

Aaron