How many jobs/week should you be applying for?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I know sometimes if you're in the right time and place, you can get hired the first or second time you apply. But for someone with about 4 years experince in technical support, on average, how many jobs should you be applying.

I just want to make sure I am sending as many as most of you. What is your magic number? :)

Comments

• buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 2 times I've been looking for work, I just fired away at as many sounded like they suited my skills.

I also had a handful of local head hunters keeping an eye out and presenting potential jobs to apply for as well that weren't listed among the job sites.

Don't hold back :D
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    You should be applying to as many jobs as possible that you're qualified for. let them go to work for you too.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    14 no more no less
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I apply to about 3-5 a day bouncing between monster, dice and careerbuilder.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Use the "shotgun" approach and fire-of as many job applications as you can per day. Most will never amount to anything, so you need quantity on your side to improve your chances of quick success. The same is true of dating, by the way. icon_cool.gif
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I am always applying for new jobs. Keep getting the resume out there and you never know what will happen...Once good example (not related to IT at all) is that my wife (who is a Teacher) applied to every school she knew of in 3 counties where we lived when she was just starting out. She had an interview with one district, but did not get the job. She got a call from another school that she did not apply to at all and was offered the job (after 2 interviews) and has been there ever since. The point of this? Well, the one school wanted to hire her, but when they didn't, they called another school and recommended that they call her. 12 years later, she is still a teacher at the school she never applied for. Granted, businesses work a little different, but you never know who talks to who about hiring people...someone just might hear what they need to hear and give you a call. The more your name is out there, the better! :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree w/ everyone, just keep applying to jobs! One thing to remember is keep track of which jobs you apply to- I can not stress that enough. Good luck!