Options

Help - printing problem

joebloodjoeblood Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
This isn't cert related, but rather a problem I'm having. I think it may be a deliberate feature of evil overlords ( icon_twisted.gif ) bleeding my wallet dry, but there has to be a way to fix it.

I've got a HP color laserjet 4600.
The Yellow toner is out, and needs to be replaced.

I just want to print black, a normal text word .doc, I don't NEED yellow for this job.

In the settings, text is specified to print as black, and I can't see why other colors would even feature into it.

But try as I might, it just won't function until I replace this yellow cartridge.
Is there a way to override this?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ??

Have your looked abour HP?

Yellow is used in inkjet prints even if you only use Black.

How's it used? Well, every page that prints prints a code (even a blank page) and it uses the yellow to make a semi-inconsicous dot pattern across the page to ID the printer and other 'things'.

I had an article about it one time, but cannot seem to locate it.

So, unless it's something else, this might be part of the reason.

Why not just purchase your new ink and finish your print job?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Plantwiz is correct it is part of the anti-counterfeiting statutes in the U.S. and other countries and identifies a specific serial number of a printer. Copy machines do the same. I not sure if printing companies have to comply but most do for obvious reasons. Secondly most HP's error circuits just say need toner and do not care which one it is to keep it from being ready. The higher end inkjets from the various companies seem to be doing this also but I am not sure if it is for the same reason. My Tektronic crayon printer at work has also bugged me over this for years. It wants its little wax squares or it throws a fit. :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Huh, thanks guys, I guess I have no choice.

I'm agitated because I just replaced the black, and now I have to spend another few hundred dollars to replace a color I don't want.

(Not to mention I just bought a bunch of training material for this A+ gig. The spending never ends!) icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    ??

Have your looked abour HP?

I looked round the site, but couldn't find the answer; and their live chat support folks don't work Sundays.

Thanks again for your help.