Resume advice and helpful ideas...

ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here is my resume.. I dont like it too much but would like to revise it with ideas and advice given here. I had alot more on my resume but cut alot down because i dont think employers want to read a huge resume when they have multiple resumes to read. What do you guys think, ideas?

John Doe
Direct 347-555-5555 City Avenue
Home 718-555-5555 New York, NY
username@Gmail.com
Positive, motivated individual with three years of experience of hardware installations, software configurations, PC maintenance and troubleshooting computer systems. Great knowledge of Windows based operating systems with understanding of networking, routers and setting up LAN’s. A resourceful, desire to learn attitude, embracing knowledge as a tool to improve problem-solving and dedicated team player making significant contributions to team and individual success.

Experience
Company, New York, New York 2005 - Present
Computer Systems Technician
• Executed hardware, software and ghosting projects for various clients such as: AT&T, NYC Department of Education, AIG, Morgan Stanley and Port Authority.
• Operated IBM Blade Centers to Configure, Troubleshoot, Upgrade and Diagnose IBM server blades.
• Performed hardware installations on IBM servers and software configurations such as: IBM Update Xpress, IBM Server Guide and ServeRaid.
• Loaded Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Linux Red Hat and Mac OS X images from Network Image Servers onto laptops, desktops, servers.
• Monitored server system performance and activity through network remotely.
• Repaired, serviced, and replaced parts, system boards and equipment for Dell, IBM and Apple laptops
• Performed client on-site troubleshooting and updating of computer systems.

Company, Brooklyn, New York 2004 - 2004
Computer Repair Internship
• Provided technical support to the department of Continuing Studies of Long Island University.
• Responsibilities included problem detection, solving, maintaining network settings and presenting solutions to system issues.
• Completed hardware and software intern projects.
• Configured and installed System Boards, Hard Drives, Processors and Memory.
• Loaded, Updated and Installed appropriate software applications for Desktops.
• Executed frequent maintenance on Computers.

Company, Brooklyn, New York 2002 - 2003
Computer Technician Assistant
• Installed and Upgraded Operating Systems.
• Analyzed PC Desktop and Laptops for system errors and viruses.
• Removed and installed system hardware components.
• Prepared computer laboratories for professor presentations and classes.

Education
Long Island University

Comments

• OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    List your skills, your college major(yrs attended). In your present job, use present tense to describe your duties.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    List your skills, your college major(yrs attended). In your present job, use present tense to describe your duties.

Thanks for the advice Olajuwon.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You said you cut it down a bit, if there are any other tech jobs you can add or formal training you have attended include those too.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    make the bullet points explaining each job consisten in length.

Also, be cautioned about your title for the first job, "computer system tech". This may give the employer the impression you only dealt with PCs, while you also supported servers and LAN, so you may want to say "System Technican".

Sometimes employes give you a simple title, but your works is very complex, so your title should explain what you do, not what title you hold :)
    binarysoul wrote:
    make the bullet points explaining each job consisten in length.

Also, be cautioned about your title for the first job, "computer system tech". This may give the employer the impression you only dealt with PCs, while you also supported servers and LAN, so you may want to say "System Technican".

Sometimes employes give you a simple title, but your works is very complex, so your title should explain what you do, not what title you hold :)

Your right about changing my job title. At my job i rarely deal with desktops. Mostly all work is on Servers. Thanks for the advice, i appreciate it.
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have some very good elements in your resume. You put action and skill words in your bullets, but like one of the others said, state present duties in present tense. It has good structure and flows well. Your resume is missing 1 critical element that I can see at the moment. It needs scope. Tell them how much responsibility you have in terms of numbers.

and now that I have read the first part a couple of times, I think I am slightly confused as to the nature of the position. Where you a project team member? Did you do most do these things for clients or within the company?
    In any case it needs scope.

For example.
    Responsible for repairing, servicing, and replacing parts, system boards and peripherals for 120 Dell, IBM and Apple laptops state/city wide.

I would go through each statement and try to add some kind of scope, or you can write some of the statements as a cause and effect type. To show your troubleshooting skills. What the problem was and how you fixed it.

I think you have a real good start.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
    Badger95 wrote:
    You have some very good elements in your resume. You put action and skill words in your bullets, but like one of the others said, state present duties in present tense. It has good structure and flows well. Your resume is missing 1 critical element that I can see at the moment. It needs scope. Tell them how much responsibility you have in terms of numbers.

and now that I have read the first part a couple of times, I think I am slightly confused as to the nature of the position. Where you a project team member? Did you do most do these things for clients or within the company?
    In any case it needs scope.

For example.
    Responsible for repairing, servicing, and replacing parts, system boards and peripherals for 120 Dell, IBM and Apple laptops state/city wide.

I would go through each statement and try to add some kind of scope, or you can write some of the statements as a cause and effect type. To show your troubleshooting skills. What the problem was and how you fixed it.

I think you have a real good start.

Hey Badger95, Thanks for your advice. To answer your questions, I am a project team member when projects arise. The most recent project called for 6000 laptops to be imaged from servers and configured for the NYC schools, also some on-site duties. I do the work for other companies, for example.. i may be handed a sheet with a customer (for example, AT&T).. wanting a configuration of IBM X346 servers with RSA, 6 SCSI Drives, set up with a storage enclosure, Raid Controllers, Windows Server 2K3 loaded from the image server...etc. I configure the server, then it ships out to them (the customer) where ever they are (NY, TX, CA, AZ...etc.)

With the example you gave, should i be more specific in my job description? showing numbers as well?

Also, as one of the posters have said about changing job title.. I am not too sure as to what title i should put. I currently have computer systems technician, does that sound about right for the work i do? Servers is what i mostly work on but i do some work on laptops and desktops.
  • drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heres a bullet example;

Provided technical phone support for a 3000+ customer base.

or it could say;

Provided technical phone support for a 3000+ customer base by staffing a centralized help desk to facilitate exchange of information
    and advice to the customer, end-user, and/or client.

beef it up man, I am one who believes in a fat resume. If the HR wont take time to read it then they're probably not serious about how much I get paid. Most resumes will not fit on one page, and most HR people know this. Most resumes get scanned into a resmux data base that filters keywords for a position. Think about it.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What you are shooting for is an action-benefit statement., A clear description of an action you took, which resulted in a tangible, measurable benefit to your organization. You want to quantify and qualify. Demonstrate how your abilities and experience have made a positive impact on a company’s bottom line. When you are quantifying, think about the impact of your work in measurable terms and include the numbers, percents, dollars, and other measurements of success that represent your experience in the best possible light.

When you qualify accomplishments, describe the process, and include your personal characteristics that an employer would consider valuable in that role. Write the statement in a commanding, professional tone. Begin with action verbs that show a decisive action on your part, followed by a positive benefit to the company.

See the thing is this, a lot of folks talk about how much they know. You will see the repetitive comments, what is better, a degree , experience or certifications, …. and they will list all of their skills, of course they are important, but it is kind of missing the boat.

What is really important to the company is what can you do for them.

OK so lets look at one of your statements.

“The most recent project called for 6000 laptops to be imaged from servers and configured for the NYC schools”

So let try…..
    Project team member responsible for imaging and configuring 6000 laptops for NYC schools.

This is just a starter, it meets some of the requirements. It has quantity, shows what action you took, and starts with an action verb/ skill set. Now, what it needs is a benefit. Did you save time, money, value added to the customer ….? Did you increase repeat business…. That sort of thing.

Lastly, if you have project management experience, put that in there. That is a very desirable skill in IT.

LOL I guess I took the long way to answer your question. But I hope this helps.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
    Badger95 wrote:
    What you are shooting for is an action-benefit statement., A clear description of an action you took, which resulted in a tangible, measurable benefit to your organization. You want to quantify and qualify. Demonstrate how your abilities and experience have made a positive impact on a company’s bottom line. When you are quantifying, think about the impact of your work in measurable terms and include the numbers, percents, dollars, and other measurements of success that represent your experience in the best possible light.

When you qualify accomplishments, describe the process, and include your personal characteristics that an employer would consider valuable in that role. Write the statement in a commanding, professional tone. Begin with action verbs that show a decisive action on your part, followed by a positive benefit to the company.

See the thing is this, a lot of folks talk about how much they know. You will see the repetitive comments, what is better, a degree , experience or certifications, …. and they will list all of their skills, of course they are important, but it is kind of missing the boat.

What is really important to the company is what can you do for them.

OK so lets look at one of your statements.

“The most recent project called for 6000 laptops to be imaged from servers and configured for the NYC schools”

So let try…..
    Project team member responsible for imaging and configuring 6000 laptops for NYC schools.

This is just a starter, it meets some of the requirements. It has quantity, shows what action you took, and starts with an action verb/ skill set. Now, what it needs is a benefit. Did you save time, money, value added to the customer ….? Did you increase repeat business…. That sort of thing.

Lastly, if you have project management experience, put that in there. That is a very desirable skill in IT.

LOL I guess I took the long way to answer your question. But I hope this helps.

Badger95, Thank you very much for the help. I took what you said and changed my resume. started getting calls lol.. but from what you said, i understand what you mean.