Options

from nothing to MCSE - how long did it take you

Hello

Starting tward an MCSE and wondering what type of timeline I am looking at.

Obviously it will depend on study habits, job, family, time off...just curious how long it took you to do it - or if you are working on it how long you expect it to take...and how long for each test.

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I started out with 2 W2K exams (W2K pro and server) to my credit from years ago, along with A+ and Network+. From there, I took the MCSA 2K exam April 24. Probably took me about 2 weeks to study. Upgraded to MCSA 2K3 May 3rd. Took the 2 remaining required exams for MCSE June 6th, 19th and 26th. The gap in May was for my attempt in Security+, which I then put on hold to take advantage of MS's retake promo, which I ended up not having to take advantage of after all.

So, I'd say it took me 3-4 months with constant study if you consider the early stuff several years ago. Phones at work were slow, so much of the time my nose was in a study book.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Hi

I took 2.5 months for all 7 exams to achieve MCSE. It would have taken me longer if not for the second shot offer. I sat 2 exam's alot sooner that expected but I wanted to try them before the offer expired. Thankfully I passed them. Good luck to you.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I did my MCSE in 5 months.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Well, my exam rate is 2 exams per month (each 15 days)... I'm on the 5th month and 2 exams to go... but I'll make it 3 for Messaging :)
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you all work as well? :S

I'd love to be able to take exams so quickly, but with working full time plus doing plenty overtime i'm often too tired when I get home.

It takes me a good month to read one of the MS books from cover to cover.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Yeh its tough. I work full time, wife two kids. I was a zombie around the house for a couple of months.
    Do you all work as well? :S
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    I work too,

Just trying to read at least a chapter per day of my study book...
  • Options
    Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Took me about 8 months to do all of my MCSE.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gotcha all beat (so far). I got my MCP back in 1999 on NT4. Took a couple of exams in 2001 (70-210 and 70-215). Got my CCNA in 2003. Got my Sec+ a few weeks ago. Taking Net+ tomorrow, then on to 70-218 to finish up MCSA 2K, then 70-292 to finish up MCSA 2K3, and finally planning on 70-350 in Jan 07 to get the MCSA+Security designation on both tracks.

So let's see, that will be over 7 years and still no MCSE... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Obviously, I never got into the "Cert Race" but I do see their value and I look forward to completing this plan of action. Good luck to you!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    From nothing I got...
    A+, Dec. 03
    Net+, Dec. 03
    MCP, Feb. 04
    Security+, sometime in Spring 04
    MCSA, sometime in Summer 04
    MCSE:Security Feb. 05
    MCDST, Feb. 05
  • Options
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    From nothing I got...
    A+, Dec. 03
    Net+, Dec. 03
    MCP, Feb. 04
    MCDST, Feb. 05

How many years working experiance?
  • Options
    billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    7 Weeks. I was working for a Microsoft Certified training company back in the 90s and they had a big contract to teach SQL Server Administration and Programming classes to a client. I knew SQL Server but in order to teach the MS certified classes you had to be an MCSE and also be certified in SQL Server. I had 7 weeks in order to take the Networking Essentials, NT Server, NT Workstation, NT Enterprise, SQL Server Admin and SQL Server programming exams. I studied day and night. Fortunately they freed up my schedule and I didn't have to teach in the meantime. So I got my MCSE in NT 4 in 7 Weeks.
  • Options
    Jeeeeez........ nice :D
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took me almost 13 months to complete it.
  • Options
    iloco808iloco808 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LukeQuake wrote:
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    From nothing I got...
    A+, Dec. 03
    Net+, Dec. 03
    MCP, Feb. 04
    MCDST, Feb. 05

Question... why the heck would you want/need to get a MCDST after you accomplished a MCSE?
    i don't understand at all
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    iloco808 wrote:
    LukeQuake wrote:
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    From nothing I got...
    A+, Dec. 03
    Net+, Dec. 03
    MCP, Feb. 04
    MCDST, Feb. 05

Question... why the heck would you want/need to get a MCDST after you accomplished a MCSE?
    i don't understand at all

I don't know, but I plan on getting MCDST after I get my MCSA... :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    A+ 2002
    Network+ 2003
    70-270 May 2005
    70-290 July 2006

I am a bit of a slow coach compard to others but I am aiming for MCSE by end of 2006, 5 exams to go!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    rockstar81 wrote:
    A+ 2002
    Network+ 2003
    70-270 May 2005
    70-290 July 2006

I am a bit of a slow coach compard to others but I am aiming for MCSE by end of 2006, 5 exams to go!

How much of the gap between each cert/exam was studying? Did 70-290 take so long after 70-270 because of other committments? Or because it was a difficult exam?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    I should have taken the 290 exam in sept 05 however I got side tracked and even thought about leaving IT as my job at that time was becoming very stressfull. IMO the microsoft exams can be passed 6 weeks each or less if you have the resources.
  • Options
    booboo2booboo2 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got the bug to Cert up in May. Since then have sat for both A+, Net +, and about to sit for 70-290 in next week or 2 tops and then 70-291 by September. Once Summer is over and kids back in school I plan to finish out by the end of the year for MCSE.