Options

Windows XP Help

LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
Ok I've tried everything....I hope someone can help me.....

I have 3 windows XP pro computers in a peer-to-peer work group. Lets say comp1, comp2, and comp3.

They are all in the same work group and comp1 can talk/browse comp2 and comp3, comp2 can talk/browse 1 and 3 but comp3 can only talk/browse comp1.

1. I can ping comp2 from comp3 by its name and ip address.....but I can't see it in network places. I've allowed firewall access (black ice 3.6) for the ip but still cannot get windows to recognize it?????

There is nothing else on this network. Does anyone have any idea what the @#$% is wrong?

By the way all computers have SP1.

Also from my network places when I try to view workgroup computers it says that the computer is no allowed to access the workgroup???

any suggestions?
Thanks Dave

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you run the network wizard on each system?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Sorry for the long response time, I've been caught up in the whole RRAS, Terminal services and IIS part of 70-218 (its def a pain).

I've narrowed my troubleshooting down to just 2 computers, and I have ran the wizard on both of them, still nothing.

I've also tried changing the workgroup name and having them rejoin a different workgroup, still to no avail????

I think i've tried about everything, except for the right answer???

Damn microsoft, I'm thinking it has to do with a hotfix or something that i've applied but I'm not sure and I really don't want to uninstall the fixes that I can one by one but that looks like my only option as of right now.

If anyone has any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Just a thought. Have you tried with BlackIce completely disabled? I seem to remember seeing somewhere that someone had a problem like that even though they allowed that traffic. I think they either swapped or it was sorted with a reinstall.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Russ have you been spying on me???

Funny you say that because I do currently have blackice running on these computers.

Its definately a good idea which I'll give a try.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Lexxdymondz, you told us you had Black Ice.
    1. I can ping comp2 from comp3 by its name and ip address.....but I can't see it in network places. I've allowed firewall access (black ice 3.6) for the ip but still cannot get windows to recognize it?????

But he is spying on you too. Hear that clicking noise in your computer? That's RussS. icon_wink.gif

Cheeblie
  • Options
    icon_redface.gif sorry bout that.... icon_redface.gif

I did get to play a little bit today....when I disabled blackice on the computer I could see the workgroup just not connect, so i'm off to a good start.

hopefully tomorrow i'll get it working

Thanks RussS

Cheeblie how did your test go??

I gotta suffer through it tomorrow...
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    The test went great. I'm MCSA now, and I didn't have much trouble with the test. There were lots of questions on Delegation of Authority and GPO application. It was very straight forward test. The only thing that made me angry was that this testing center I go to now (Old testing center is closed for a while) has horrible lighting which gives me a terrible headache. I had to read some of the questions 4 or 5 times before I could get all the pertinent information. But I passed, so who cares! My head still does hurt though icon_wink.gif .

Cheeblie
  • Options
    Lexxdymondz - heh heh heh

Just start worrying if suddenly MCM screensavers start running .... :P
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    nikhilmngnikhilmng Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□