Options

batch files

dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Lokking or a little insight...

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a batch file to login to a winxp pc? I was curious to know if i could use the task scheduler to execute a batch file to login to a machine that would be powered on but not loged in.

Any ideas??

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You can instead configure auto-logon. Usually it is used for installation purposes.
  • Options
    Yeah, we are on a very restrictive domain though and i am told that's not possible.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    out of curiosity why do you need to login a machine with a batch file?
  • Options
    dubbs112 wrote:
    Yeah, we are on a very restrictive domain though and i am told that's not possible.

So, logging on using a batch would make it more secure? How so?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think what he means is that auto-login is disabled domain wide and he's looking for a way to get around it.

Why do you need to the computer to log in at a certain time? What are you trying to accomplish?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    We have 6 machines that used to run 24/7, and now they only run two shifts. We want to shut these machines of at night to help prolong thier life a little. These machines do not have mice or keyboards as we only access them remotely to avoid the operators screwing around.

Basically we want them to be shut off at night and then in the morning they can be turned on at say 5:30 and then the task scheduler can run the batch file at 5:45 to login to the pc.

Not sure if its possible?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not worth the hassle IMHO. Leave them running and their lifespan will not reduce that much.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    Not worth the hassle IMHO. Leave them running and their lifespan will not reduce that much.
    I have to agree with RussS here. If they are important enough to have the keyboard/mouse removed so people don't fiddle with them, they ought to be left on 24/7. Why do they need to be logged on at all? Is there a service that starts up when they are logged into? One issue you would have to be careful of is leaving a plain text batch file with login credentials on a machine.
    If you have to turn them off/on, rather than make a batch file that logs into the machine, create a scheduled task to start/run whatever service is needed. Or simply have the service set to "Automatic" startup.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Its difficult to explain but it is a generic login for the pcs involved basically once the user is logged in it launches a program that interacts with the equipment that we run with out any necessary operator input.

It seems like it may be a hassle just to give the pcs 8hrs of downtime each night but it would be pretty nifty if it were possible.

Maybe your right and its not even worth the trouble.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It really really isn't worth the trouble. The auto-logon setting is the only way.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    By 'accessing remotely' do you mean RDP? With XP, you can have only one RDP connection, and you have to authenticate it anyway. The XP does not need anyone to be logged on for RDP and actually because of the connection limit, no one should be logged on before an RDP connection is made.

Perhaps though you have an application that runs without user interaction, but must run in a user environment? That sounds like a poorly designed app that should be running as a background service with a client connection as needed to interact with it.
  • Options
    The program does have to run in a user environment to transfer the data from our manufacturing equipment that is collects to a network drive on our server. It also displays a GUI that is helpful to the operators of the equipment however they have no need to touch the pc.

We use TightVNC to establish the remote connections to login. It is a very usefull freeware program.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    If they don't have any mice or keyboards, I assume they have touch screens for the operators? If that were the case I can't see auto logon hurting security.

If security is a major issue, just create a login for the machines and restrict the computers it can log into to just those 6 machines. we have 2 PCs that are used for daily reporting and the accounts are locked down and limited to those individual machines. That would keep users from using the account elsewhere and give you a little more piece of mind.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    RussS wrote:

Unless you need to power them off for days at a time, leave them run.

You can configure your power-saving options to reduce some of the energy, but you will not gain anything (or very, very litttle) by turning them off and on every day.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?