Options

network question ????

salvikidsalvikid Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
i did a lil 2 computer network for a friend (for DSL sharing) everything went well but a few days later he calls me tell me that the connectin cuts of tooo much before he calls me he calls up tech support and they fix it icon_rolleyes.gif but the same thing happens anyway so he goes and returns the router while he there he askes a sales person ( at BEST BUY) what it could of been they said that it could of been that he had 2 differnte NICs is that possible icon_wink.gificon_confused.gif:

ALSO: what is the differnce between a router and a wireless router???

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Um... it's really hard to tell what the problem is with such little information. I can assure you that different NICs have no problem working with each other, as they are built on industry standards. The only difference between a router and a wireless router is that wireless routers supports WiFi clients.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    salvikidsalvikid Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    k the first computer has win98 second winxp he has a links router ummm both computer are non brand both built by PCLUB 1st comp. is a 850Mhz 2nd not sure i think 1.2Mhz ........... what else is there??? the motherboards are MSI not sure of the model

hope that help.............

so if anyone can help...
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the configuration for the 'router' is incorrect. Go into the administration mode and check that it is configured to keep the connection alive.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    FishfoodFishfood Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have had problems with Netgear routers and Intel Pro NICs. The second NIC on the network would flood the router eventually knocking the first NIC off of the network. So don't sell the guy at Best Buy short.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have heard of that, but usually it is because something is set incorrectly.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007