Options

QoS (?) for Cisco 1721 Router

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
I have Vonage VoIP and I would like to setup QoS (I think this is what it is) on my router. Basically I want to ensure that there is 100+Kbps set aside (ALWAYS) and make sure the VOIP packets are set to the highest priority.

Could anyone point me in some sort of direction on how to do this? I searched at ciscos website and found QoS Device Manager but it looks like I need to install it on a server???

Thanks alot in advance!
Now working full time!

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have Vonage VoIP and I would like to setup QoS (I think this is what it is) on my router. Basically I want to ensure that there is 100+Kbps set aside (ALWAYS) and make sure the VOIP packets are set to the highest priority.

Could anyone point me in some sort of direction on how to do this? I searched at ciscos website and found QoS Device Manager but it looks like I need to install it on a server???

Thanks alot in advance!

Use class based qos.

Class-map Vontage_Data
    match ip dscp ?? ( depends what value you phone is marking in the ip packet,you will have to check this maybe its ef)
    Class-map Vontage_signalling
    match ip dscp ?? ( same as above but this is for the signalling, less priority, maybe af31)

Policy-map Vontage
    Class Vontage_Data
    priority 100
    Class Vontage_signalling
    bandwidth 64
    Class class-default

Then on the interface use define the policy-map using
    Service-prioriy output Vontage.

Anyway this is just to put you on the right track,maybe check out the "Auto qos" feature.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Thanks ed, now if the router Im using is running NAT overload, and my phone has a private address how could a person making a call to me initiate the call if I am behind the router...Could I use a DMZ server?

I also found this on the Cisco Website if anyone else is interested (Class based QoS)...TY ED!!!!!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6558/products_white_paper09186a0080087a84.shtml
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Also check out ip rtp priority.

Remember, any classification and marking of the traffic that you do will be completely ignored by your ISP.