FAILED CCNA :(

pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
Well, i don't get it. I score over 90 in ccna prep test in the incd & intro bookshelf, i score over 90% in all tests i found in the net, and thow i failed ccna with a 779 score.

I'am very dissaponted on me. I come to the conclusion than hands-on experience is very valueable. Some questions, mostly troubleshooting wasn't at all at the cisco prep bookshelf. What to say...study again...and see...

Comments

• steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Dont worry - most people that write the CCNA dont pass first time.

Pick yourself up and go kick ass!!

Good luck icon_smile.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We've all been there (or will be) at some point - not passing an exam the first time around. So don't let it get you down, you weren't too far off the mark. Reschedule soon and study based on what you now know about the real test.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I say it is just your nerves when doing the "REAL" test. Pick yourself up hit the books and reschedule that thing. Then post a PASSED thread buddy.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • therainesmantherainesman Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did the same thing. I went in really confident and then failed the first time. Nailed it the second time. Then I found out the guy who is the head of the network for the schools in my area failed it three times before getting it. :P
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, hands on is VERY important.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    Hey, I'm back after a few months break. I needed to relax and put my mind to rest after a long journey that hasn't ended yet (and probably won't ever).
    Anyway, just don't quit. You now know what topics you should read more about and keep your head up. You did good for first time without hands on experience.
    I'm taking mine pretty soon as well, so good luck for us both.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)
  • nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    The actual CCNA is much harder then any of the pratice tests I took. Even if you know it, you have to be able to watch out for the tricks they try to hook you on.

Just keep trying man.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and focus on your weak areas according to the exam score report.... but also review the topics you know so you don't forget them.

While there may be some troubleshooting questions that require you remember a set of possible problems and answers, others are just questions that require you to know the output of show and debug commands for lots of different things.... and yeah, hands-on is the best way to learn and remember this stuff.

Did you just go through the practice test questions once to identify weak areas? Or did you go through the practice tests multiple times to get that 90? I only do a practice questions once to, when I do them at all.

Did you run into time trouble? Or was your time management okay? Did you used the subnet practice site(s) to get some easy and fast exam points?

Good luck next time! icon_thumright.gif Looking for some exam payback can be a study motivator.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    Yes i had time trouble, in my exam, at the end i found my self 10 minutes left with 12-13 questions to complete, i got a little panic there...

The point is tha the official ccna exam preperasion is much easier than the actual test. Yes actual test is tricky sometimes.

I know how to subnetting very good, although ip subnet-zero commad confused some times.

I bought some books of sybex and i'm reviewing again. I don't have at all any hands on experience.

In my country seminars for the ccna cost around 1000 euro...
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Failure is a prerequisite to success :) Regard it as a step close to succeeding. Go for it. Don't worry, as you read, some fail the first time.

Go for it and good luck
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I failed my first attempt with an 800. I panicked on the sims. I just couldn't figure out why it wasn't working, was concerned about time and ended up skipping them. We could have used more troubleshooting practice in class.

Definitely get hands on experience. Even if you have to use a mediocre sim, that's better than nothing. Since you took a Cisco exam, you now can get access to Cisco prep center. Take advantage of everything you can find there. Get systematic and methodical about troubleshooting routers, such as checking that all interfaces are up, that you can reach the directly connected interface of the next router, etc.
  • Mr CrucialMr Crucial Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another first time failure here. I scored 837 with a passmark requirement of 849, probably about as close as you can get without passing.

One thing I noticed, there seemed to be one question that you couldn't get the answer right. It was about ports on a switch set for trunking, you had to pick out 3 ethernet ports which had the trunk command set on them, but only 1 port on the switch was set, and the option didn't appear in the mutliple choice answers. Has anyone else had something like that, or was I just not reading the question correctly?

All in all, I'm very disappointed with the study materials I had. None of them seemed to adequately reflect what the actual exam is like in terms of difficulty.
  • aleksfaleksf Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    heh..it forces me to suspect..btw i am going to take it on friday
    any recomendations by your side?

I did have a lot of hands on in the class as well as running the image on my PC..sim q are what i am scared of!
    Predator#show ver
    Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-JS-M), Version 12.4(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
  • zackmanzackman Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed the first time because of inadequate study preparation. The second time I failed was about an hour ago because I wasted too much time on Sim questions. I got all of the sim questions except one which I spent well over 10 minutes which forced me to rush the rest of the test, and I still ran out of time with about 4 questions left. Moral of the story don't waste too much time on the Sim questions (for me anyway). I got 3 or 4 of them total but couldn't figure one of them out. I will be taking it a 3rd and final (hopefully) time next week. Oh by the way, 1st time was a 737 and today was an 834 (need a 849 to pass).
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Probably missed it by one or two questions. Bummer.