3640-DC and 3640-AC

I recently got 2 cisco 3640 from ebay, one 3640-DC and the other 3640-AC. they're on the way yet. What's the difference? can someone give a quick answear, thanx!

Comments

• steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    This is what I got:

Cisco 3640-DC Multiservice
    Access Platform for Service Provider

I cant find anything for 3640-AC, It sounds like electric current to me...You know AC/DC. icon_confused.gif

Anyway - As long as they do the job!
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is power.

If you don't have a DC power source you may be able to find a "converter" or just replace the power supply with an AC Version.

Researching this will give you something to do before the routers arrive. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
    Gosh, it's power supply! this thought crossed my mind when I saw them on ebay. But I can't imagine cisco makes something that suppose to run 24/7/365 with a DC power supply! why?

anyway, the seller will provide the DC supply module.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    madonion wrote:
    Gosh, it's power supply! this thought crossed my mind when I saw them on ebay. But I can't imagine cisco makes something that suppose to run 24/7/365 with a DC power supply! why?
    Telcos (large Cisco customers) run all their rack equipment on DC. It makes it easy to run everything straight off battery. This is more efficient since they don't have to convert back to AC only to have the equipment power supply convert back to DC (AC powered electronics do this). They use AC to charge the batteries, and have tremendous generator backup. That's why the phones still work when the power is out.