Advice?.. should it take this as an interview?

ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, Coming back here to ask your advice, since this forum is very helpful. Well, as some of you know me for the topic "Underpaid in IT".. i recently cleaned up my resume very well and started posting on job sites, i got about 8 calls this week and one guy i talked to asked if i was looking to be a field Technician, I kept it honest and told him i was not looking to be in the field but then asked if he had any other available opportunities at his company (which is a consulting firm), He reviewed my resume and asked me to come into his office in Manhattan to discuss things further. Should i take this as an interview? or just a discussion of available positions? i personally am taking this as an interview but what are your thoughts? Im scheduled to meet with him on Wed at 9am.

Thanks all for all your help.

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it is something you aren't very interested in, go only if it doesn't cause you to miss work or something else you had planned. I wouldn't go out of my way but if I was going to be doing nothing, then I might go ahead and do it. Also, I would think that how bad you actually want a new job would play into it as well.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Consulting Firms aren't the best companies to work for. Those firms are all over the job sites so you cannot avoid them. Take this as an interview but be prepared to be working with a different company every few weeks or months if they employ you. Those NYC Firms usually have short-term contracts with clients that have no potential to go full-time, but they always say it's full-time just to attract candidates. I am speaking from my experience with them. You never know, your experience may come out better. Go for it.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Regard this as an opportunity. Don't make negative assumptions, you never know what they have in store for you until you actually go the store :)

They won't waste yours and theirs time to schedule a time until they had something in the vault! Just go for it, brush up your tech skills, be positive.

You never know opportunity may have knocked on your door. Go for it, sieze it. And good luck icon_lol.gif
  • ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    Regard this as an opportunity. Don't make negative assumptions, you never know what they have in store for you until you actually go the store :)

They won't waste yours and theirs time to schedule a time until they had something in the vault! Just go for it, brush up your tech skills, be positive.

You never know opportunity may have knocked on your door. Go for it, sieze it. And good luck icon_lol.gif

Hey Binarysoul, Thanks for the encouragement. Im not thinking negative at all. I was thinking... if they dont have anything available or nothing to offer in terms of job openings, then why would he waste his and my time. Im showing up and doing my best. i would go for a long term contract and leave my current job since ive learned all i can at my current company.. anddd... well for higher pay of course lol.. but seriously.. i feel i can move on and learn more at another job. Plus my uncle is putting me to do projects involving setting up linux based networks, Solaris, DHCP, PXE.. I listen to him because he's up there making 200K, so hes teaching me. (free learning huh).. im going to learn as much as i can, add certs and do my best. Thanks to everyone for your responses.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Consulting firms are great to get lots of varied experience in a relatively short amount of time. Sure it can be a pain, but hey, it's a trade off.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...