Options

Both RIP and IGRP on the same router

NawaketteNawakette Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello !

Could you please explain what happens if both RIP and IGRP are activated on the same router ?

If we see the routing table (show ip route), I read that the RIP routes are not displayed. But I don't know why ?
Is it because the administrative distance is lower for IGRP (100) compared with the administrative distance for RIP (120) ?

And how to improve this network (make it more efficient) ?
By deactivating RIP protocol ?

Comments

• Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Nawakette wrote:
    Is it because the administrative distance is lower for IGRP (100) compared with the administrative distance for RIP (120) ?

And how to improve this network (make it more efficient) ?
    By deactivating RIP protocol ?
    If the same routes are learned by both protocols, only the IGRP routes are in the routing table because of Administrative Distance. RIP is not disabled, and if RIP learns about some routes that IGRP doesn't know about they will show up in the routing table as RIP routes.

Administrative Distance is supposed to be based on how stable and accurate a protocol is, and it is local to that router only. In reality, I would trust OSPF (AD 110) over IGRP (AD 100), but the router trusts IGRP more. You can change the administrative distance of routes or a whole routing process. This should only be done with much careful thought.
  • Options
    NawaketteNawakette Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank a lot.

I'm happy to read that what I guessed was +/- correct :P