Options

Preparing for CISM... need suggestions on study material!

agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
Hello Everyone!

It's time to register for CISM and prepare it... I'll sit for it on December...

I would like to know, for the ones that sat for the exam, which reading material did you use or how did you prepare for it. I am planning to use a CISSP book, but I don't know if that will do it.

Any feedback on the exam itself and study materials would be great!

Saludos!

Comments

• Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    CISSP and CISM are very similar. Many people do CISM right after CISSP. Besides a CISSP book I'll recommend the original material from ISACA.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Munck wrote:
    CISSP and CISM are very similar. Many people do CISM right after CISSP. Besides a CISSP book I'll recommend the original material from ISACA.

I'd agree. I've heard this from many people who've taken both.
  • Options
    Well thats good news... Two birds with one shot!

I'll use a book suggested on another post by you Keatron... I believe it was a book by Aucherback editorial or something like that.

Thanks amigos!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    there is a cism book .....

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0471455989

i used it and got a 73 ..... passing was 75

grrrrrrrrrrr

there also are exam review courses ....
    im going to be in philly in oct ....

http://www.isaca.org/Template.cfm?Section=CISM_Certification&CONTENTID=24343&TEMPLATE=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I'm currently reading through the Wiley CISM Prep Guide as supplemental study material for other security certs. It's a nice book that can be easily purchased for under $10US (including shipping), but I wouldn't trust it to be my only resource.

Also consider using the SRV CISSP exam prep materials for the CISM: https://www.srvbooks.com/cissp_exam.htm
  • Options
    Yep, I have it... but the reviews aren't good.

They say it's old.... not updated.

I'll give it a read anyway....
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Yep, I have it... but the reviews aren't good.

They say it's old.... not updated.

I'll give it a read anyway....
    Yep. It's inexpensive and you will be using multiple study resources anyway, so it's worth the time, at least to get an idea of the material that's on the exam.
  • Options
    kmcneeskmcnees Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone!

It's time to register for CISM and prepare it... I'll sit for it on December...

I would like to know, for the ones that sat for the exam, which reading material did you use or how did you prepare for it. I am planning to use a CISSP book, but I don't know if that will do it.

Any feedback on the exam itself and study materials would be great!

Saludos!

By now you've probably already sat for the exam - however, on the off chance than someone else is asking the same question - my advice is to go to ISACA.ORG and join, and then purchase their study aids direct. Not only are they excellent study references - but they also have the advantage of being written 'very closely' to test specifications. You won't see the same questions on the test - however, the tempo and style of the ISACA study material does help one, I think, to start thinking like a CISM.

I have seen some here downplay the CISM. I wouldn't do that. The CISM holder is much more aware of the need for security to exist in concert with business strategic and tactical planning. The CISSP is basically told (tested on) security at any price. The CISM is basically taught (test on) "just enough" security. In the real world, business people run the companies. Business people understand cost benefit, ROI (return on investment), Risk Management, etc. They understand, certainly, the need for security but not at the expense of good business practices.
    Ken
  • Options
    HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So agustinchernitsky, how did you do?

I'm sitting for it in June. I bought the new CISM book that was just released and the SRV publication should be shipping by the end of the month for the 2007 exams. I probably won't buy the ISACA material since I can't fork out THAT much of my own money.

Anyone else have any insight on the CISM?