IT and me...

drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Sometimes it feels like I'm the only IT guy I ever come in contact with. Is it just me or what? I never seem to meet anyone who knows the first thing about computers or anything related to the subject. All I ever here is, "can you fix it?" I have to come to message boards like this one to get a conversation on the subject. You hear about the market being flooded with IT people, but where are they? Even my buddy who knows a little bit said today," I'm getting out of computers. I'm going to be a union welder." Is it like this everywhere? I know we are at the colleges, ISP's, repair shops, ect. I've worked all these kinds of places. I'm talking about everyday people on the street. The only thing I see is a general ignorance on the subject of computers by everyday people, which is good for us, but man it would be nice to be able to talk to people about even the smallest subject. Thats just my thoughts. Anybody else feel this way?
Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android

Comments

• BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Your city should be big enough to have several groups that meet monthly or just occasionally. Cisco, Microsoft, hardware and software manufacturers, etc. all have active groups around the country. Often, there are no dues and free food because of sponsors.
  • reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Your city should be big enough to have several groups that meet monthly or just occasionally. Cisco, Microsoft, hardware and software manufacturers, etc. all have active groups around the country.
    This is true, I'd recommend to look up groups on Google. I know here in Colorado there are many groups that get together to educate themselves and each other about IT issues.

Since I've gone to school for IT, I've met many people that have either expressed an interest in learning computers and networking, or they are closet geeks are know every programming language there is. If you have the time, I'd say take a basic to advanced computer or networking class at the local CC and go meet people.

If you're a gamer, look for LAN parties in the area. Several of the LAN parties I've been to have produced quite a few cool people, especially knowledgable in the electronic arts. And half of them work at factories or non-IT occupations.

Hope these help. icon_cool.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever