Options

score 632, almost there

jr007jr007 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just took the 70-270 exam today. I studied diligently with cbtplanets software. I had some transcenders 6.0 pro cert and the ruready software from getcertify4less.com when I bought the voucher. I have 3+ years in a desktop support role, but almost nothing when it comes to security. I knew I was over prepared for the exam until my worst fear came to play. I sat down and the very first question had to do with a security policy. I guessed and moved on in hopes that when I came back to it, I would realize the correct choice. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the test seems to be quite adaptive. I got pounded with security from there on out. The better first 1/4 - 1/3 seemed to be security related regarding policies and accounts. I knew there would be some, but not that much. Did anyone else experience this? After studying all that and failing, what should I do next. I cant really afford anything else, but I will do whats necessary to pass. Should I have been studying for the 70-290 exam and then 70-270 (which is what I read somewhere in this forum). I am very confused as to what to do next. Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thank ahead of time...

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just took the exam a few days back myself and my advice is to back up the CBT/Question material with a solid book. Not just to fill in any gaps in knowledge but you will learn differently with different mediums. For instance I find it much easier to study a hardcopy book than an eBook, or more importantly I subconsciously approach CBTs and book content differently. What I've found works for me at least (Providing I have the funds to cover the bases at the time ;) ), is to go through a CBT first to get a strong visual overview, then hit the books. While the CBT's either dont go into or make retaining the low-level stuff harder (its a lot easier to re-read sections and memorise than to rewind/play imho) that initial familiarity makes digging for those details in the books much easier.
    The exam is adaptive, but that's not the problem. Look at those extra questions as opportunities to make up for an earlier mistake, not MS picking on you ;). You've identified where you're weakest (and you have the exam report) so just go over everything you can find that deal with those areas. The RIS and GPOs where the worst for me too so I made a point to hit them hardest when studying. The funny thing is I ended up fine on those and lost marks on troubleshooting, normally my strongest point....oh well....

Ps. I used CBTNuggets, Exam-Cram2 and the technotes here (Your first stop should be these as they're great and of course free....
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    First, thank you for the Extremely quick response. I have some CBT nuggets courses, but not sure what exam cram2 is. Could you please specify.
  • Options
    I'm new to the forum, so I didn't see the statement you made about MS picking on me. I also had a slight problem in the installing portion, which I've done 100's (literally) of times using the XP/2k disk, RIS and Ghost (being the 3rd party software they talked about). I wouldn't say that MS was picking on me, but it felt like they started with my weak point and pounded from there. any other topic didn't last but a few questions. It sound like you knew that was coming and you prepared, I did not. I touched up on it, but not to the extent they brought me through. I would tell you what I mean, but I need some time to re-word the question or question's so I am not breaking any rules. Just as an example, there was a question that talked about account access/policies that I had seen absolutely nowhere through my MANY hours of studying diff sources. Mostly curious if anyone else experienced this. I'm under the impression the answer is no, but still have to ask.
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Just be concentrated , learn more , I recomend MCSA/MCSE self study book's and Sybex , Exam Cram to and make some test's before the exam.

Don't hurry up , think , it doesen't matter the time , it matter's the result to pass.

So never give up , give it one more try wne you tink your ready ;) Good luck ! icon_cool.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    I agree completely... I WILL NOT take another MS exam when I am not certain. My question really was; I studied cbtplanet, 999.00 for the MCSE course, and transcenders then the RUready software (you can find my reference in my other posts). But being this confident before I went, ie passing ALL exam pre-tests with 850+, what do I do now. (besides being so cocky). I really did ALL I was told I would need (after paying just under 1k for the entire MCSE test base. I thought after studying diligently, I would be OK, but I found differently. After Cbtplanet.com, (good for tips, HORRIBLE for the actual exam. Also, I talked to the CBTplanet people, and they are some help, until it comes to repeating your problem. CBTplanet will do anything they can to NOT refund money. If you need to ask a question, you had better do it while there is an online chat line (VERY SMALLL WINDOW). If anybody want to know my exact reasons, please contact me @ josh_richmond@hotmail.com. They have at this point F-ed me over. I would love to sher they're secrets. respond to this, This is my pri Email. DONT F ME OVER. Lets talk, I may be able to help you out... (exam wise, for what I've done so far... I WONT GIVE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS, OR questions asked), but I would extremely appreciate your response. Lets go from there...
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Didnt mean any offense by saying 'picking on you', just an informal way of saying what you had already stated, and is one way to look at adaptive testing.
    Yup there were a few questions that popped up in mine that I know for a fact were not covered in any of the materials I'd been through but tbh not as many as the CompTIA exams I've sat. The books are just trying to keep up with Microsoft's stated objectives, but some things are always going to be missed. One nice thing about the Cisco exams, no vaguery, you get the Ciscopress books/SIms/Labs, you learn it ...you pass. 'Twould be nice if Msoft went down the same route :) .
    I'd never sat a Microsoft exam before and had no idea what to expect beyond the horror stories about inane garbled questions, like I said I just hammered the sections I had never touched in real life (at the expense of a few under the hood topics that bit me in the ass). I went into the exam thinking it'd be 50-50.

Exam Cram (2) is a series of condensed notes for various courses. Some swear by them, some revile them. They don't waste as much time on explanations as most other books but the ones I've seen at least are quite thorough in presenting reliable material (Their haters often say that they only teach you enough to pass the exam and you're not REALLY qualified. Which is BS imho, comparing the ones I've read to larger more respected books they come out just as good, just with less background noise - with one caveat - see next point). I'd only recommend them if you already have some grounding in whatever you're studying (as you have in XP) and need something detailed and concise for filling in the gaps. There are different authors so some are great some not so (The Exam Cram 2 NET+ guide is excellent imho, the XP guide jumped around from topic-to-topic too much for my liking but still had the essential facts).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I used the Sybex book and this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/078973107X/026-4139125-1410850?v=glance&n=266239&v=glance

which is just MeasureUp practice questions - it may be the same set you get with the MS Training Kit, but I never used that so I can't be sure.

It's a while since I took this exam, but Microsoft definately ask a lot of questions on security and disaster recovery (backups!).

Good Luck with your next attempt, you're close to passing now so it shouldn't be too much work to get it next time ....
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I have been using TestOuts 70-270 video series along with some books.

Have to say I think that TestOut Dropped the ball on this exam, the videos do not relate to the practice tests that well in some chapters and the explainations for wrong answers can get confusing.

Not to mention the instructor mis-spelling a few items in the earlier chapters.

Some of the chapters end in practice tests with 30+ questions...I dont know about you but after about 10 of those questions on the same topic I am ready for a nap.

Normally TestOut is an awsome resource, but for the 70-270 I feel they could have done better.. just my two cents worth.