Options

history of MCSA/MCSE, when did you get yours?

MCSA is newer than MCSE right? As in MCSE has been around longer?

Did MCSE use to have lower requirements or something?
Cause it's like 6-7 exams to get it. How long did take you guys to get it from when you started, to when you get certified.

Also, I see some people with MCSE on multiple platforms...is that mean you've been in IT for a long time? or MCSE requirements used to be different? Or done through upgrading paths? Please share a little about your experience, thanks!
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    MCSE was around since NT. MCSA I believe was introduced with Windows 2000.

With Win2K cert, you had to pass 218, which was not a core requirement for MCSE 2000, but could be used as the W2K MCSE elective choice.

With 2003, they made MCSA as a milestone towards MCSE.

So, with W2K, you could be an MCSE and not an MCSA, but with 2003, if you are an MCSE, you'd have to be an MCSA.

See http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/default.asp
    and http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.asp

MCSA 2K: 215, 218, 210 or 270, elective
    MCSA 2K3: 290, 291, 210 or 270, elective
    MCSE 2K: 215, 216, 217, 210 or 270, design, 2 electives
    MCSE 2K3: 290, 291, 210 or 270, 293, 294, design, elective

Exam 292 is to upgrade MCSA 2K to 2K3
    Exam 296 along with 292 is to upgrade MCSE 2K to 2K3.

MCSE for NT exams were retired, and the upgrade test was also retired.
    So if you only have an NT cert, you pretty much have to start over.
  • Options
    I had taken a few MS exams on the 2K track towards MCSE several years ago, but stalled. I had 210, 215, and Exchange.
    Add 218 I took recently and that got me MCSA on W2K.
    Took 292, became MCSA on 2K3.
    Took 298, 293, 294 and was MCSE on 2K3, since an MCSA on 2K satisfies elective requirement.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Wow....sounds impressive.

Did you have to pay for all the exams + study materials?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Microsoft's reason for adding the MCSA cert was to bridge the gap between an MCP - someone who is only certified on a single MS platform, and the MCSE who is supposed to be an "engineer", or designer, of MS platforms interoperating together. Thus the MCSA is an "Admin", or someone who is capable of managing a Windows environment at the System/Network admin level, leaving off the "design" exams for the MCSE.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Several years ago, my company provided some training, and provided MS coursware books. Also was able to get Transcenders.

These days budgets are tight. I probably could get the company to buy the books, but then I wouldn't be able to keep them. So I bought my own, which is much cheaper than a class, and I have references if I need them. Most of the tests the company paid through a voucher or reimbursed.